Just got my thorley's in!

transworldmoto

i was looking for that thread where one guy was questioning the out-set of the header tube ends from the flange. I was wondering the outcome of that thread, since my flanges have the tube ends protruding slightly also. just wondering if i am gonna run into any problems tomorrow evening when i do the install. thanks guys! :D happy, happy, happy, happy! NO MORE TICKING! BUWAHAHHAHAHAA

Congrats Bud, I'm jealous !! But then, I only have the tick for a minute if it happens at all so I'm pretending it's not there... :P I know the thread you mean but don't know where it is. I'll poke around a bit, but a search in the last 90 days with 'thorley' would probably turn it up... :D How about you take good pictures and do a little write up for the site ?? :aok:

B

already on it, p1! gotta get my good work clothes on, haha. naw, im too shy for the camera but them shiney thorley's damn sure ain't! a thorough write-up and many pics to come, probably after thanksgiving weekend. anyone who knows of that thread, i'd appreciate a link. gracias seniors! have a happy thanksgiving all!

Yeah, I've got my Thorleys ready to install too...just need to wait until after the holidays. Not enough time!

My flanges aren't flat either...it struck me a bit odd. I've been thinking about getting' em decked flat...but I imagine that with the gaskets, you'd probably be all right. Not sure if my exhaust guy will do the decking...but CasetT did mention there's a NAPA here in town that has a decking machine. You might check around in your area to see what's available.

Let me know what you decide to do!

i think tomorrow when i put 'em on im just gonna throw 'em on like they are and see how it goes...if i come out with leaks or something like that, i'll have 'em decked, but im wondering if maybe they're outset for a reason? maybe so there is a better seat on the actual head surface, then the gasket fills in the rest??? beats the piss outta me, but hey, trial and error. i'll let ya know since im doing mine first! :wacko:

Hi Guys, first timer here. I could use some help. I just installed my Thoreley's about a week ago, and am still dealing with headaches. The headers themselves are great, but fixing the two broken exhauset manifold studs has been a nightmare. After unsuccessful attempts to extract the broken stud, I tried to drill and tap it out and only made a mess of the head. So I took it in to the Nissan dealer since I figured they've fixed this problem a million times. After two days ,even the dealership gave up on fixing the holes I had made, and called in a "Laser guru" to work his black magic. Now the head and studs are perfect, but after 3 days at the dealer, I finally got it back today, and the driver's side header leaks worse than when I first installed it with the two missing studs (not ticking, but monster truck pull loud). The problem is that the damn EGR tube doesn't fit properly on the Thorley header. It about 1/4 inch too short and the angles on the fittings are a bit off, just enought that I can't start the tread no matter how loose the header is on the studs. I had the same problem when I tried to installed them the first time. After fighting with the EGR tube for a couple of hours, I finally had to take the header completely off again and managed to get it on by attaching the lower end of the tube to the header first, then the upper end to the EGR valve, and only they putting the header on the studs and bolting it down. unfortunately doing this twists the header (alot!) so it wont seat againt the head untill you start craking it down and puts a lot of stress on the newly (and painfully) installed studs. And of course, it doesn't seal properly on the header tube closest to the firewall is leaking like crazy. Rather than risk breaking another stud by overtightening the header to close the leak, I'm trying to figure out a way to modify/replace the EGR tube, maybe by cutting it and adding a flexible section ???, so the header can be bolted down properly.

Anybody else have a problem with attaching the EGR tube on the Thorley header? Maybe I just got a bad header from Thorley? (and yes, I did read and follow their detailed installation instructions) Any ideas on how I might modify the EGR tube (quickly, cheaply, easily) before I take the hacksaw to the sucker?

BTW my flanges are not flat either. I think this is by design and that it helps seal better around the exhaust port since due to the much smaller contact surface. The right side (no EGR) works great no leaks. Thorley does recommend a high temp sealant on the flnage side of the gasket. I used a copper/silicone and it works great.

Thanks Guys!

hey guys. well, not so great news....after almost 5 hours in auto shop, with a lift and all of the necessary tools and a few helpers we didn't finish.

First off, the EGR tube and the one connected to the back of the block are a BI*H to put on the new headers!(*&^(*&(*...ok, sorry bout that. Anyways, after fighting with the stock y-pipe to release the stock manifolds so i could remove it, we got that lose and the manifolds came off. my engine is fairly new and was put together about 3 months ago, so the bolts were FARILY, not much, easy to remove. some were friggin frozen, which always sucks. SO, after removing the stock manifolds, we put on the pass. side thorley. fit like a glove no problems. only thing is you gotta tighten to of the studs down with a 12MM wrench since you can't fit a socket in there. sucks, but hey, i did it. The driver's side was a little trickier. So, it comes in two pieces, i still don't know why, but it does. so i figured i'd bolt on the first piece, the one with the egr and other-thingy pick-ups on it, so i did. went alright. then the egr and "other-thingy" won't thread in (tried for 2 hours to do this, no joke) (*$&%(#*#(*@. ok, sorry. then i say *my "vocabulary" is so small* it, just put the other piece in so we have both headers in. guess what? you have to put both pieces in at the same time because it won't fit otherwise! GAH!!!!!!!!! so yeah, i left my college auto shop in shame last night at 10:30 and that's where I left off. now it's turkey day, so im gonna stuff my face and hopefully get back to the grind this evening. wish me luck! happy t-day all!