95 Pathfinder frame needed

PaulsPath

Are you seriously considering a frame swap? That's quite a task.

I'd check the scrap yards for one that was rolled. Also, you could increase your chances by expanding the years, I believe '90-'95 were the same - I may be able to verify if someone doesn't chime in.

Well my current frame is in very bad shape. Im going to try and remove the rust and patch it up. I've never see anything like this ... its like the frame is just disentigrating.....deep scaley rust ... holes rotted thru the frame in front of the passenger rear tire and over it. The rest of the frame is just a scaley mess.... The body of the vehicle isnt too bad at all, the engine runs great, the interior is in fair shape....

I just found a bunch of rust on the drivers side above the rear wheel. 8 inches along the frame whole outside of the box frame. I am gonna have a plate welded over it after treating and ride it out.

Did you mean you have an 8" whole rusted through your frame?

I feel for everyone who has to deal with road salt and rusty frames. I live in CA so the only aslt my frame will see is if I want to go to the snow or the beach.. and I refuse to take her to either yet because I haven't had the time to POR 15 my frame.. and until i do.. she will see nothing but a little off roading and asphalt.

Fix your frames, then pay the $125 and get some POR 15.. I have used it before and it really does help/work.

Good luck on fixing your frames.. GrimGreg just did his so he'd be a good source of info. ;):aok:

I feel for everyone who has to deal with road salt and rusty frames. I live in CA so the only aslt my frame will see is if I want to go to the snow or the beach.. and I refuse to take her to either yet because I haven't had the time to POR 15 my frame.. and until i do.. she will see nothing but a little off roading and asphalt.

Fix your frames, then pay the $125 and get some POR 15.. I have used it before and it really does help/work.

Good luck on fixing your frames.. GrimGreg just did his so he'd be a good source of info.  ;)  :aok:

I'll deal with the salt rather than risk diving off a cliff that wasn't there yesterday. :D :X :hide:

I'll deal with the salt rather than risk diving off a cliff that wasn't there yesterday. :D :X :hide:

Haven't come across that one yet.. though I was at Frank raines OHV park one week... ehard abouta big fire somewhere.. went about a month later and OMG... what happened? park was closed and all the trees were fried.. the fire I heard about burned like 70% of Frank Raines park!

Haven't found any suspect cliffs yet... I stay away from steep drops and unknown ledges! lol :aok:

Haven't come across that one yet.. though I was at Frank raines OHV park one week... ehard abouta big fire somewhere.. went about a month later and OMG... what happened? park was closed and all the trees were fried.. the fire I heard about burned like 70% of Frank Raines park!

Haven't found any suspect cliffs yet... I stay away from steep drops and unknown ledges! lol :aok:

I travel to CA on business every now and then - had the experience of being there for a 5.0 rattle. Yeah, I know, y'all don't think anything of a quake below 7, but I like to move on the ground, not the other way around. ;)

Call me a sissy, but I'd rather deal with the tornadoes and hurricanes (and snow and salt) - they give you some warning.

Here's a good example of the rust that can develope and how it was dealt with. I think he did a pretty good job, or at least it hasn't broken yet as far as I know... ;)

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5467&hl=rust

B

THats what Im going to try to do. I broke out the wire brush and worked on it a couple of hours. I have a pretty decent hole in front of the passenger side rear tire. I guess it will end up being about 8" long. Plus there was some work done on this frame before over both of the rear tires on the frame. Looks terrible ... they just tacked up a peice of 1/4" plate ... terrible welding job. looks more like rabbit droppings than welding. hahahaha :D

THats what Im going to try to do. I broke out the wire brush and worked on it a couple of hours. I have a pretty decent hole in front of the passenger side rear tire. I guess it will end up being about 8" long. Plus there was some work done on this frame before over both of the rear tires on the frame. Looks terrible ... they just tacked up a peice of 1/4" plate ... terrible welding job. looks more like rabbit droppings than welding. hahahaha :D

lol @ rabbit dropings.. yeah.. that will make the job a bit tougher.... good luck! pics!!

yeah.. I HATE earthquakes.. now i live outside the bay area we don't feel them as bad here which is nice cuz i hate them....

dunno bout nadoes... cuz they don't exactly say "hey! imma 5.. here I come to wipe out your neighborhood at 2am!!".. i have been through hurricanes, quakes, tornadoes and plenty of snow.. i'll take the snow... maybe a hurricane or 2...

had the experience of being there for a 5.0 rattle

*yawn*

"Did you feel that ? What ? Oh, nothing..." :D Come on, the suspense is 1/2 the fun !!

LOL Paul, at least I plainly admit I know nothing about welding rather than faking it. Yeah, I have seen some work that is so bad it may as well not have been done in the first place. Good luck with fixing the rust and the rabbit turds !! If you can take some pictures before, during and after it would be appreciated and may help some people out... :aok:

B

Ok then I will take some pictures of the rabit droppings and post them soon! P...

I just bought this 95 Pathfinder with 130,000 miles on it last week for $1,200. Pretty good deal I thought. The interior and body are ok. I'm originally from NC and wasn't expecting so much rust on the frame. Buffalo stays snow covered 4-5 months of the year and the salt has eaten the frame away. I should have known.... anyway, for $1,200 I can still have a winter beater to get me to work. I might buy another vehice to customize next year. I built my 96 Tacoma nicely but bow I have 2 kids and wanted something we could all ride in. For the Tacoma I installed a rear lockrite locker, frot and rear Custom Bumpers (www.bentup.com) with Warn winch. 35x12.50 MT's with 6" of lift on 10x15's rock crawler rims. Smitty built step bar ... So I've been through this before with the Tacoma ... no frame rust at all ....I want to do the same thing for the Pathfinder ...just not sure if this frame can handle it. If I can get the frame cleaned up and repaired then I'll know.

Edited by PaulsPath

I just bought this 95 Pathfinder with 130,000 miles on it last week for $1,200. Pretty good deal I thought

Yes, I agree, but do you have any idea when (if ever) the timing belt was changed ??? On a 95, it's due every 105k miles. Find out if you can, Several people here have lost motors this summer due to timing belt failures. It's not something to take lightly. These motors run 200-250k easy, but that can end quick for lack of a $40 belt. It's not the easiest job, but necessary...

I started detailing inside my truck today and was alarmed at how the hole in the drivers floorboard had grown in 1 year. Tomorrow I will treat it, screw some stainless sheet on underneath, and slide in a plate on top as a stop measure until I can do it right in spring (no garage). WOW, I was suprised... :blink::angry:

B

after i finish taking the drivetrain out of a pathy.. i don't know what i am going to do with it. i'm out in california. but i u want the rest of PM me

also only the 90-92 frames are the same. i don't know about the 93-95's

the pathy that i'm taking the drivetrain out of is a 92

Steve-o What is your reference to only 90 to 92 frames being the same? My data would indicate that 90 to 95 frames are the same. I have a 91 and a 95 and if there is a difference, (except that 95 frames rust and 91 frames don't) I can not find it. Yes there are a couple of holes in different locations, but I would believe that they are completely interchangable.

Now as far as swaping frames I would not waste the time. With all of the Pathy's fro sale on the east coast it would be much cheaper to find one with a blown motor or tranny and us it as a donor.

I started detailing inside my truck today and was alarmed at how the hole in the drivers floorboard had grown in 1 year. Tomorrow I will treat it, screw some stainless sheet on underneath, and slide in a plate on top as a stop measure until I can do it right in spring (no garage). WOW, I was suprised... :blink::angry:

B

:o a HOLE?? on the FLOOR of a CALIFORNIA pathy? woooooooot!! :o

*gets skeered n looks under her carpet*

My Pathy spent it's first two years in Rochester, NY. Between that and the the famous exhaust leak, it was enough to start the problem which then went unattended until the other day, causing it to grow. Odds are you are ok, but it couldn't hurt to put a heat shield or some fireproof insulation underneath in that spot... :shrug:

B