Possible Oil Pump Failure?

pathfinderlude

I've been dealing with an oil leak under the bottom-end recently. I looked all over and diagonosed the source of the leak somewhere in the pulley(s) area. Took the pf to a repair shop to have all the seals (4) changed and figured the problem would stop, but...

The leak slowed, whereas I would see less oil dripped onto the driveway overnight, but nonetheless its still leaking. I took it back to the shop to have them look it over again and now their diagnosis is:

There is a CRACK in the oil pump, causing the leak? :wacko: I'm looking at a serious repair bill as he claims it requires removal of the entire bottom-end, oil pan, and maybe the front-end?!?!?!?!

I've never heard of oil pumps failing, at least not in this manner. What I first want to know is where is the oil pump located? Is it inside or outside the engine? If inside would I see oil leaking out even if the pump is failing? Wouldn't I just lose psi within the motor?

I have a feeling he's trying to take bend me over and I told him to give me a day to decide whether to fix or not. I could take it back as-is but who knows how he'll put the car back together since I'm not giving him the business. Also, this place was referred by 2 ppl I know that's been going there for some time, w/o any problems. Help me decide whether to let this shop fix the leak!!!

TIA

u mean a crack in the oil pump "housing" ???

maybe the crank seal was leaking and needed replacement.. maybe they busted the oil pump housing when they were trying/prying to get out the crank seal ( oil pump housing right below the crank shaft) .. not impossible, but improper leverage can make it happen.. gotta be careful with messing around the crank seal shouing area.. read that somewhere in the manual or forums..

how come they didnt diagnose the crack the first time u got the seals replaced ? how did the crack show up after they replaced the seals ? think about it ..