Wheel Bearing Question

edta1

Is there a difference between "disc brake wheel bearing grease" and "non-disc brake wheel bearing grease"? Yeah I know, one is meant to be used with disc brakes and the other for drums. But can I use the disc brake grease for the drum brakes? and vice-versa?

Thanks

bearing grease is bearing grease

WRONG !!!! lets go over that again... WRONG !!!!

Disk brake grease has higher viscosity at higher temperatures. Disk brakes warm the hubs and bearings quite a bit more. Just thinking of the design explains this. If you don't think your wheel bearings need grease, use drum brake grease on disk brakes. The grease will thin and flow off of the races. Tell me how long the bearings last...

Then there is waterproof bearing grease, etc... All greases are not equal. Just like WD-40 is not a penetrant or lasting lubricant !! Sorry, one of my personal pet peeves... :shrug:

B

I personally think that a drum brake gets hotter than a disc. A drum brake is inclosed where as a disc brake is always in 'air'. Drums are very prone to brake fade too.

Not withstanding, I do agree with you B. Different greases do different things. So use the best grease you can get. Make sure it is highly water resistant (not all grease is) and can handle extreemly high temps and you'll be fine.

There was no need for you to be so patronising and dismissive to mzxtreme reply B. We are all of differing knowledge levels.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Drums are generally larger diameter than disks at the contact point. This lessens the the binding force required to slow down. The contact point is the out side rim, horizontal to the rotation. That allows a lot of surface area far awar from the bearings to help with cooling. Other than ambient temp of air inside the drum and that of the shoes, the only way heat can travel to the bearing hub is through the outer face of the drum, down to the center, and into the hub where the drum bolts on. Transfering heat between two different metal objects creates a loss also. From there, what is left goes to warming the hub, bearings and grease.

Disks on the othe hand are generally smaller in diameter so require greater pressure (hence friction and HEAT) for the same stopping effect. The vertical contact plane is directly attached to the hub housing which allows much greater thermal conductivity due to increased heat, shorter distance and homogenous material. Thats just a natty break down but it should suffice... ;)

B

There was no need for you to be so patronising and dismissive to mzxtreme reply B. We are all of differing knowledge levels.

thanks man.. and all the way accross many ponds.. i'll still drink a :beer: with B even though he is gosh darn KRAUT! :laugh:

Nice creative edit V6, but I find my post nothing but firm and corrective. Thanks though, I have saved it for use in your posts... ;)

Thanks MZ !! :beer:

Yeah, I know I'm cursed as a Kraut, it's hard being this damn cool... :P

B

Nice creative edit V6, but I find it nothing but firm and corrective. Thanks though, I have saved it for use in your posts... ;)

I just though while we are calling a spade a spade B.

Attack my work if it's sloppy or second rate. That I don't give a rats arse about. I always play the ball, never the man. Not the same can be said of others though.

You'll live and get over it as will I. :beer:

Glad I could explain it edta1. I stock 5 kinds of grease, but only 1 for bearings and that is the high temp kind. I wouldn't be suprised if a Chemical Engineer was to point out that Hi temp grease is not the best for drums, but I've never had a problem and prefer to run the higher temp stuff. I live in Cali. so it may be different in the land of ice and snow... :shrug:

I just though while we are calling a spade a spade B.

Attack my work if it's sloppy or second rate. That I don't give a rats arse about. I always play the ball, never the man.

Why would I attack your usually good work if you dont give a rats arse (by the way, I have plenty and can air freight them to you).. ?

No, you were calling B a spade; you lost sight of the ball. I think, in this case, it got past your arse... :P

:beer:

B