No reverse gear?

Guest carina

Not a Pathfinder owner yet. Have a 95 truck with 170+K and it's the best truck I've ever owned, still almost all original parts.

So, I'm looking for a beater SUV. See a '95 Pathfinder on craigslist:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/car/102774065.html

I have searched this site & asked around a bit...what could the good news/bad news scenario with the no reverse be? Seller hasn't had the truck long, has no service records, says putting it into reverse just feels like going into neutral, otherwise shifts nice.

I would have to drive a bit to check the truck out, just wondering what I can look for? Haven't carfaxed it yet.

Seems almost too cheap to be true so I'm leery.

Thanks for any info! :)

How handy are you?

Swapping in a transmission from another vehicle can be a very cost effective repair. We did this for my nephew's oldest son.

'92 cherokee with blown trans, burning oil, exhaust leak, lift kit, some nice parts: $400

Low mileage replacement transmission from wrecked Cherokee (with guarantee): $500

Rebuilt cylinder head: $300

New header: $200

Reliable beater 4x4 for $1400? Yahoo! He loves it! Could easily sell for well over $2K.

Took the better part of a weekend to complete the swap.

The fan working on high only sounds like a burned out resistor pack. I think it cost me about $20 to repair mine...

And the exhaust leak is typical on Pathy's. Broken exhaust manifold bolt. A time consuming but not too difficult of a repair.

If it was well maintained for those miles (oil changed regularly, etc) and you're able to do the repairs yourself, this could be a heck of a great deal!

Thanks, you guys are fast! It probably is a great deal for someone mechanically handy, but my limited expertise doesn't extend to replacing transmissions, unfortunately. Plus, I have no clue how well it's been maintained. The other stuff didn't sound like a big deal, but the transmission thing, I dunno...

My own 95 Nissan pickup has been bullet proof, but I've had it since new and always maintained it well.

Well...if any of you out there live close enough to metro Detroit to check it out, go for it! I think I'll continue checking ads for beater SUVs. Not too many Nissans around here, unfortunately. GM country. :rolleyes:

Before you give up.... why not consider becoming mechanically handy? Nobody is ever born mechanically handy. It comes from having a desire, willingness, and ability to learn. Lots of folks on this board to help you along!

LOL mws....I used to be, before cars started getting all complicated! Used to do all my own tuneups, oil changes, rewired an old Ford truck once.

But I don't have the tools & as much time now. I've bookmarked this site, I do like to at least be educated if I have to get work done at a shop!

Still would like to find a Pathfinder, but they are rare as hens' teeth is SE Michigan. And believe it or not, there are still shops that won't even work on Japanese vehicles here....

If you do decide to get it:

Check with a used japanese engine importer for your trans. I had a 5 speed installed for about $1,000 (Install an aftermarket trans cooler, too).

Michigan, eh? Check for a rusty frame above the rear wheels. It's a common problem for that year. Rusting floorboards under the rear seats and under the gas pedal is common, too. You could cut the rusty bits out and hammer some sheet metal into the right shape and screw or rivet it in place if you don't have access to a welder.

I got a shop to install my headers and replace the exhaust bolts to the upgraded type for $400, so no more leaks.

So, for around $2, 000 you'll have a decent running truck that prolly won't give you major problems for quite a while.

Shop around, but it's hard to find a good 4x4 for less. Then again, we're all a little biased toward our beloved Pathies. :D