Wheel backspacing with stock height and 31's

crxfisher

Ok, I've spent the last 30 minutes searching and can't find an exact answer. I have a 97 XE with the skinny stock wheels and I want to upgrade, but NO lift. Going with the black US Wheel Daytona's from Summit.

From what I have read, you CAN put 31's on without a lift with minimal rubbing. But my question is, what backspacing and width should I get? 15x7 or 15x8? And the 3.75" or 4.5" backspacing? I don't mind them sticking out a little bit, but nothing too extreme.

Also, if anybody has pics of 31's on stock height with these rims that would be awesome. Thanks.

well i say go with 15x8 wheels with 3.75 BS thats what i have and the tires dont rub unless i turn the wheel all the way. Check out my post i just made and theres pics of it with the 31's and the rock crawler wheels (i know there not the ones you want but it helps) :aok:

I don't know backspacing, but i have American racing Outlaw II's with "0" offset and 32x11.5 with a small amount of rubbing (trimming necessary) But the main concern is the tires height due to the strut spring perch being so low the tire will hit it.

kmgar99 - Is that last picture that shows the clearence between the strut and tire with the 32's?! With my 31's (even though they measure 30.5") I have about 3mm of clearence and I have the SE package. If you get 2" out of a lift, with you gain 2" of clearence where the strut could come in contact? Thanks!

kmgar99 - Is that last picture that shows the clearence between the strut and tire with the 32's?! With my 31's (even though they measure 30.5") I have about 3mm of clearence and I have the SE package. If you get 2" out of a lift, with you gain 2" of clearence where the strut could come in contact? Thanks!

Yes....that is the clearance with my 32's.....With a 2" lift you DO NOT increase space between the strut spring perch and the top of the tire because all the lift does is increase the spring length that goes on top of the strut.....thus streching out the strut..... The distance between the spindle and the spring perch of the strut always remain the same. No-one makes a strut for the R50's with any different measurement between the spindle and the perch....

Man I hope that made sense!??!?

Take a look at my install of the AC 2" lift. Lift install

That picture is decieving....I have about 1" inch of clearance with 32" tires....but with my 31's I had between 1 1/2 and 2 inches.....the backspacing and or offset of the rim pushed the tire away from the vehicle....

I'll try and take a better shot tonight.

Not sure this helps but here is the clereance on my 02 with LT 245/75 R16 (no lift). Not sure if Nissan re-did the strut when they went to 16 inch wheels? Also not sure what my metric tires measure out at in inches. In other words, this may be a complete waste of a post by me, sorry in advance if it is.

TireClearence1.jpg

Not sure this helps but here is the clereance on my 02 with LT 245/75 R16 (no lift). Not sure if Nissan re-did the strut when they went to 16 inch wheels? Also not sure what my metric tires measure out at in inches. In other words, this may be a complete waste of a post by me, sorry in advance if it is.

TireClearence1.jpg

Pictures are never a wasted post......but anyway on to the real question...where did you get that ruler? Or should I ask (quietly stashing my stuff as I ask)

Pictures are never a wasted post......but anyway on to the real question...where did you get that ruler? Or should I ask (quietly stashing my stuff as I ask)

The ruler is a give away that the Canadian National Railway hands out at various railway safety events. I took my kids to see Thomas and Friends, CN was there and were handing out stuff like this. You may find something like it from other railways at train shows or where railway safety is presented.

No, it was not a personal memento of a close encounter with the CN Police (at least not this one!) and no I am not going to come to your place and take all your "stuff". And I won't ask about the "stuff".

Now back to our regularly schedule post. Does the photo help anyone?

Trainman - That picture helps me! That clearence looks very similar to mine although I have even less. I also wonder if they re did anything after changing to 16's. I probably have 3 or 4mm between the tire and where the spring sits in the strut with 265/75/r16s and no lift. When I decide to lift it, most likely OME springs, I'd like to get a pair of 31's although these are supposed to be. They actually measure in at 30.4-5" and I don't think they'd clear if they were really a 31. Anyone else have any ideas?

Trainman - That picture helps me! That clearence looks very similar to mine although I have even less. I also wonder if they re did anything after changing to 16's. I probably have 3 or 4mm between the tire and where the spring sits in the strut with 265/75/r16s and no lift. When I decide to lift it, most likely OME springs, I'd like to get a pair of 31's although these are supposed to be. They actually measure in at 30.4-5" and I don't think they'd clear if they were really a 31. Anyone else have any ideas?

Glad it helps. I measured the actual clearance, it is 9 mm at the outside edge of the spring support and 5 mm at the inside edge of the tire, tires have about 2/3 tread left. (Hope this is clear?)

Just to let you know, I have had no clearance issues even with the tire that close to the strut. And the truck sees a fair bit of gravel roads (but the tires throw the rocks out pretty quick too).

Good luck on your quest.