E-brake cable

Simon

So, my e-brake seized on me this morning, so I tried to loosen it up. No luck, brakes were stuck. I thought, possibly, if I got the cable pulled tighter, then tried to release, it would un-seize. No such luck....brakes simply grabbed harder. So I pulled hard on the lever, and snapped the cable, on purpose, so that I can at least get home without dragging the e-brake. P...

Question is, does anyone know where I can get a new cable, other than a dealership, and how hard is it to replace the cable? I know I have to hook it up under my console, then run it through the floor, but is there more to it than I can see? :shrug:

Thanks in advance for your help folks. :beer:

Edit.......it's a 95 SE.

Edited by Simon

Well.... You probably will still be dragging the brakes.

Happened to me in my old s10, it seized right near the pad and the brakes were stuck on. You should be able to get teh cables at any lordco/ auto motive parts store, and it doesnt take more than an hour.

No, I'm not dragging the brakes anymore. I wouldn't have snapped the cable off if I didn't know where it was seized. It's seized in the "exit tube" that goes through the body. The brakes themselves are not seized, that I know for sure.

Thanks for the reply on the work. It's just the forward-most part that I have to worry about. There's the "T" where it splits to the two rear tires and everything there is fine. It's up by where it enters the body that is the issue. I'll probably have to replace the cable portion from the handle, to the "T"

Well, it looks pretty straight forward in the manual, but who knows the reality of it... :shrug:

I'm more curious why it siezed in the first place...

B

My assumption is that I got some POR-15 on the cable when I was spraying the underside of the vehicle (frame and floor) and then pulled the brake up too far. It wouldn't release all of a sudden, and the e-brake handle kept pulling up all on it's own whenever I'd try to release it. I got someone here to pull/release the e-brake while I looked underneath, and saw where it wasn't moving, so my only recourse at that point was to snap the cable, as I had no tools to disconnect anything properly.