Maintenance

Guest InitialB

Guest InitialB

I just recently got my 93 pathfinder and it's got 160k on it, I was just wondering if there is any maintenance u guys would reccomend me doing like fluids or tune up, all I know it has had done is new tires and brakes all around. I jus want to make sure everything is good to go be4 I start driving this thing on a daily basis.

Oil Change. Check Oil Pressure. Tune up with new plugs and wires. New PCV Valve (cheap and easy to replace) . New air filter.

You can change all the other fluids if you aren't sure if/when it has been done.

Front Diff, Rear Diff, Trans (Manual or automatic), transfer case, anti-freeze and clutch fluid if you have a manual.

Do you know if/when anything has last been done to it ? Assuming no or many miles ago, a full tune up is always good (incl oil change). If you don't know about the timing belt, change it/have it changed. They are rated for 60k miles on a 93, so assuming it was done per schedule you are 20k away from the 2nd replacement. These are interference motors, don't fool around when it comes to the T belt.

When I buy a 4x4, I always change all the fluids (tranny, diff's,etc) for peace of mind and to set up a maintenence schedule. It is fairly cheap to do. If you replace the tranny fluid (manual tranny) make sure to read the TSB pinned in the garage/tech section.

B

timing belt time! (my94 calls for it at 110k mi) - i bet it wasn't done.. on my 89 i felt comfortable with 120k (it called at 60k) with no prob but they tend to go around 200 if un touched.. as B said you ruin the whole motor then and it is expensive to fix/rebuild

use only GL-4 in your manual tranny (if that's what you have) and if you have AT do the external cooler mod pronto... (search garage or <95 forums)

the guy I bought it off of said that the Timing belt had been replaced but he didn't tell me mileage :shrug:

if the truck is from the same area you maybe able to call a dealer and find out. otherwise look in your owner's manual and see what they call for there.. then ASSUME :huh: that's when it was done.. no idea what they called for any maintenance in metric countries, sorry.