Error code P0446? evap... charcoal canister

98Chilkoot

Could be one of the following:

- Vent control valve harness or connectors

- EVAP control system pressure sensor

- Blocked rubber tube to vent control valve

My money would be on the electrical connection. Any chance your old canister was leaking and you have charcoal in the rubber tube attached to the vent control valve?

Do our engines have purge control valves?

I think what you're thinking of is the EVAP vent control valve on the canister which he mentioned was changed. Our engines do have a purge volume control valve (some also have a purge control solenoid valve) but they are both not related to that error code.

O-K

help all of us with this issue...we have read before mutiple things that turn on that dang light but is ithere anything to make it go off for at least a couple of years???

--->for the elec. conn. can you give idea of how to fix it??

--->for blowing out the lines does the canister and valve have to be off to do this??

i know that this is a wore out topic...please 88 or precise make this a tidy (tie-dee :D sssh :aok: )pin up so it can be read about freq by us and new users!!

Edited by 98silverpathy

For the electrical connection check for any damage to the wires or harness. You might clean out the connection with some electrical contact cleaner while you have it off. If you turn the ignition on you should have voltage between terminal 2 and ground. You can also check continuity between terminal 1 and the ECM terminal 108 but I wouldn't start there.

I've had the P0446 and P0440 in the past, both were fixed with a new canister and vent control valve in my case.

For the charcoal leakage hopefully XPLORX4 will jump in since he's done that fix himself, check for some of his past posts on the steps.