BACK UP BATTERY

Slick

:help: OK. So, umm.... we are trying to hook up dual batteries in Daves '73 Chevy, (454) so we can run our AC/DC converter thingie to charge the cam corder batteries while we are in Pismo. We run the new battery for the main, but how can we hook up to the auxillary battery when we want to charge things? Dave ran the cigarette lighter direct to the back up battery, then ran a wire to the alternator and another to a little battery isolator box thingie (we BOTH forgot the name..long day, hot weather, you understand?) that he bolted to the fender well near the back up battery.

ok. The way it is set up now, the alternator is constantly charging both batteries, (they are however seperate from each other)which we really don't need, and it can't be safe charging both at the same time? They are charging at 14.5amps on both batteries according to our amp meter inside the truck.

Need: is it safe like that, is there a way to disconnect the new battery so it too does not lose charge while charging CC batteries or phones, or is there some better way to hook them up, and if so, how the hell do we do it? I am in nooooooo way electrically inclined, and Dave can't figure out any other way to do it. HELP!!!

I call on ye Pathy loving brothers and sisters to help us! We leave in 5 days! -study- :gossip:

I can easily supply pics if needed.

Edited by Slick

I think the way you did it should work(kinda hard to say for sure without seeing your wiring).

If the isolator thingy you are talking about is what I think it is, my dad had one on his RV. It will make it so that only the auxilary battery gets disscharged. This way if you have something on your aux. and forget it on, you can still start your vehicle and make it home.

As far as not being safe. Your alternator won't struggle more to charge your dead aux. battery than it would to charge your main battery after you kill it and your battery will accept a continuous charge just the same as a regular car battery does.

The only thing I would recomend is to get an RV or deep cycle battery for your aux. battery. A regular car battery will not last as long if it charges and disscharges a lot, where as an RV or deep cycle battery is made for constant charging and disscharging.

Denis

The only thing the back up battery will be used for is specifically to charge our cam corder batteries via the cigarette lighter which has an adapter, while we are on the beach, as there is no other alternative power source. there will be nothing else running off that particular battery at any time except when we are using the charger (maybe once or twice during the course of the whole week).

Question 1: will having a constant charge, and no discharge on the back up battery cause any problems, to either battery? Will it overload the battery and make it burn up?

Thanks for your input and help! appreciate it!

It won't hurt either of the batteries. Just think of your car battery. Lets say you start your car in the morning (a fair disscharge) you drive for 15 minutes (it's pretty well charged) and you drive for 8 hours after that. There's no harm to your battery right? Same for your spare, it won't harm it. Your charging system (alternator) is made so it won't hurt your battery.

Now if you were to add a couple more batteries, run them dead and try to recharge two or three batteries at a time with your alternator, I would be worried about your alternator. In your case, you have installed (I'm assuming the isolator thingie you are talking about is so the second battery doesn't disscharge). So worst case scenario, you are recharging a battery (same as you would if you went to the mall and left your lights on).

If you're only using it for this trip a regular car battery will work but if you're going to use it a lot ,and there's going to be a lot of charging and disscharging, I would consider a deep cycle battery for the spare.

Denis