Another Tranny Thread

Guest C_2g

I have a 95XE Auto Pathy.

I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to have to do a tranny swap. This is due to the fact that I no longer have reverse or very little reverse on cold days only. So I am planning on puchasing a reman. tranny to install. So with this in mind I plan on doing it myself and my questions are....what is the difficulty level with this task? Do I have to remove the transfer case or can I leave it in? Do I have to remove the torsion bars? When putting in a new cooler, will it fit in front of the original one or what is the best location to mount the new one?

I do have mechanical ability as I do most of the mechanical work on my other car which is a Ford. But working with that car is a breeze.

I haven't worked on an auto, but I'm pretty sure to pull the tranny, the t-bars have to be removed along with the crossbar they adjust at. This isn't as bad as it sounds, just mark them so you have an index reference, and measure the thread sticking out of the top of the adjusting mechanism so you can get it very close when they go back in. Hopefully the new tranny comes with a transfer case as I understand they are not fun to deal with. Bypass the stock tranny cooler completely and I believe most people put the aftermarkey one inbetween the radiator and the AC condensor... There are plenty of threads about that. Search will give you the answers.

B

Thanks for a speedy reply. I was looking at my haynes manual and it does not mention removign the transfer case during a transmission removal. I hope that this is the case and that disconecting the transfer case from the tranny will be an easy job.

I have removed auto trannys before. You leave the trasfer case attached when you remove the tranny. There are bolts in places you can not reach when it is in place, so I doubt anyone could remove it without the transfer case. Now if the motor is staying in the truck, then you have to remove the torsion bars. Not a real hard job as long as the bolts are not rusted up very bad. If there is a lot of rust under the truck, then you are going to have trouble. Finally the tranny will need 8 inches more ground clearance for the body in order to slide out.

The only real surprize is that this tranny is HEAVY.

We just did a similar job. At all times we were three people under the car. We did remove the transfer but we only needed to unbolt the rear portion of the torsion bars and one person lifted them while two of us worked on the tranny. After we removed both shafts (rear and front) we used a floor jack to lower and remove the tranny first and one person (the strongest) did lower the transfer by sheer muscle power. The only problem we had was in the reassembly, we were trying to lift the tranny to put the transfer in place and we fought like one hour until we figured out that the only way the transfer fits in is "LOWERING" the rear end of the tranny.

WAVEY

Geesh this does not sound like a quick and easy job. I plan on doing this in one day. This Saturday has been deemed Tranny swap day. Anyone want to come help? You are more than welcomed to lend a hand. LOL

The beer is on me!