97 Pathfinder "Check Engine" light

Grumpy

My daughter's 97 Pathfinder lit up the "check engine" light during a 900 mile trip the other day. After parking the vehicle overnight, the check engine light is still lit.

She is less than adept at things mechanical, so I'm wondering how to retrieve the codes on this vehicle. The Nissan dealer in her neighborhhod is far less than price friendly.

Any tips or creative thinking would be appreciated.

My daughter's boyfriend cleared the codes by pulling the battery cable, but the check engine light came right back on. My daughter went to an Advanced Auto Parts store in SC, and they shot the codes for free. It's apparently a throttle postion sensor.

Autozone offered to shoot the codes - for $74. Ha ha - that's a good one

Guess where we ordered the sensor from?http://www.partsamerica.com/Default.aspx

The price seemed fairly competitive as well, at $78.

Many thanks to all.

Edited by Grumpy

What was the code? The TPS on the 97s get out of adjustment easily triggering TPS codes. Very easy to adjust back into position.

I didn't find out what the code was beyond taking the guy's word for it. I'm 1,000 miles from the car. Hopefully a new sensor will cure it. I want the vehicle as trouble free as I can get it with my daughter driving.

Even with the new sensor you'll need to go through the adjustment procedure to get it installed correctly, you'll need a multimeter and a .012 and .016 feeler gauges. Post back if you don't have those steps.

My daughter's boyfriend is going to install the sensor. I could use your help for specific instructions on the install.

Thanks.

96-98 Pathfinder TPS Adjustment Procedure

1. Warm up engine until the fast idle cam retracts and the throttle lever rests on the throttle stop screw (never adjust the stop screw). Turn engine off.

2. Remove the electrical connection to the closed throttle position switch (top one on TPS)

3. You'll see 3 terminals, you will be testing for continuity across the top two (5 & 6)

4. Insert the .012 feeler gauge between the stop screw and the throttle drum stop, should have continuity 0 ohms

5. Insert the .016 feeler gauge and you should not have continuity

6. If readings are incorrect loosen the bolts and adjust the sensor (rotate) until the readings are correct

7. Once the readings are correct, turn the ignition on (wait 5 seconds) and off (wait 10 seconds) and repeat 16 times to relearn the closed position