Engine dies in R and D

Guest skallywag49

Guest skallywag49

89 4X4 3L Auto------ R and R the Plugs, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve, oil and filter, also the breather that goes from the airbox to the valve cover (little white rectangular cotton-like filter).

I took her down to the service station where I had her IM'd and she passed the emissions and all that. Well, last night it started chugging at about 65mph (2000 +/-200rpm)

Today it started chugging at idle as soon as i put it in Reverse or any forward gear. It normally idled at about 800 and still does in P or N. As soon as i drop it in gear, the rpms drop to about 500 instantly then it dies. If i rev a bunch i can keep'er goin but then when i get right around 65mph the chugging comes back. So under acceleration she pulls, while cruising, she doesn't. It hasn't died at speed, yet. Any suggestions/answers to my problem would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jeff

I don't have an auto and I'm struggling to remember what it is about the auto shifter... I think there is some electronic shifter position sensor or something but I'm not sure if that would cause what you are describing. I'm not sure where that info is so you may want to try searching for it. Perhaps it could be a connection/selenoid issue at the tranny ? Lets see if this sparks any responses or corrections. Be patient and good luck.

B

Guest skallywag49

MAF cleaned, problem resolved (for now).

The engine no longer dies AND it idles lower

than it ever has, after it's warmed up.

Thanks for that tid bit.

skallywag49