Tire recommendations

Matthew K

Hello all,

This is related to my topic below about an alignment and tire balance/rotation. I went ahead and got the thrust alignment done which it needed. After that I found that it was still pulling to the left and shaking between 60 and 70 on the highway. I couldn't figure out what to do so I switched the front left tire with the front right tire. I then went back on the highway and the pathy pulled to the RIGHT this time, with more shaking. So I think I've narrowed it down to the tire itself. I have General Grabbers on there now, and there seems to be plenty of tread left, but I think the culprit tire may have some internal separation (you'll read in the aforementioned post below that I've already had the tires balanced numerous times) that lends to an imbalance that can't be rectified from normal wheel balancing. On the outside, the tire looks fine.

I was going to just rotate the front tires to the back, but I think I'll just get shaking anyway. I may just replace the front two tires since the wear is slightly more on those. In that case I'll get two more Grabbers. But I wanted to see if anyone has any other tires that they absolutely love. One mechanic suggested Michelins, but he didn't say what type. Has anyone had any problems with their General Grabbers?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post again!

Matt

I'm not familiar with those tires, or tires in general - but maybe you can help the others by letting us know what you will be using them for - how much wheeling, and what type (mud, rocks, both... ??) :)

There is no substitute for dedicated winter tires. If you do a lot of driving in snow, I highly recommend picking up a set of Winter Duelers and swapping them on for the winter.

As for daily driver with occasional trail driving? I'd go with BFG AT KO or Bridgestone Dueler AT. Also Firestone Destination AT is a good choice.

BFG ATs are sweet. I run them and am real happy with them. Surprisingly good on the highway (I go to school 5 states away, they have seen some highway miles)

They are plenty aggressive as long as you arent in sticky mud. Great in the snow.

Guest JWalsh

About a year ago I bought the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo tires and I love them. The sidewalls are stiffer than the stock tires that were on there. I had a huge increase in ride stability and handling. Here is a link to where I got mine, shipped right to my door. Tire Rack