Balance or Front End/4 wheel alignment

Matthew K

Hi all,

I have a 2001 SE with approx. 62k miles. I took it in to NTB in Arlington, VA for an oil change and tire rotation and balance last week. I usually change the oil myself, but had a coupon and figured what the heck. I've learned my lesson. It turned out that they didn't change the filter the first time, and when I took it back I got some bad attitudes and dirty looks from the mechanics. Needless to say I was pretty p*ssed with the whole situation. Anyway, I also had them balance/rotate the tires under my lifetime plan. That also was a mistake as they balanced the wheels without using the adapter on the machine. I took it back the second time and the car still shook at highway speeds and found out that they balanced the wheels without calibrating the tires. I will never go to this shop again (then also put some nice scratches in my wheels).

To make a long story short, I've had the tires balanced 2 more times at Merchants (since they and NTB are part of the same company) because my car still shakes. Evidently they also checked the alignment which was okay. They also assured me they balanced the wheels with a freshly calibrated machine and with the adapter.

The shaking isn't that bad, but it is noticeable. Actually what I experience is a shaky steering wheel between 60 and 70. My pathy doesn't seem to pull either way. I'm just at a loss of what I should do. Merchants also checked the wheels themselves to see if they're bent and apparently they're okay. Should I have the alignment checked again somewhere? Would a misalignment cause shaking within a 10 mph range? Oh, apparently my shocks and struts are okay, but I was also wondering what their expected life is (mostly highway/around the town driving with light 4-wheeling).

Thanks for your help all. Sorry for the long post...

Matt

Hey bro!

I know the NTB you're talking about and they SUCK! Which Merchant's did you take it to? Try the one on Lee Highway near Glebe Rd, they're generally pretty decent.

BTW, I live in Arlington, too. :aok:

A slight alignment issue will cause a shaking at those speeds. Sans pulling usually means that both sides are out appx equally on the same spec. If Merchant's doesnt work out for you, there's a Craven/Goodyear right at George Mason Dr. and Lee Highway that does excellent work, and the Sears at Landmark Mall (Duke St and I-395, in Alexandria) are good, too.

I'm thinking of heading out to the GWNF next weekend for some light trails, lemme know if you're up for it. :aok:

Dan

Fellow Northern Virginian.. I tend to stear clear of NTB in general had nothing but bad luck with them. If all else fails, I've had good service at a good price from Brown's Nissan down there on Glebe Road. They may know the truck a little better. Mine too is shaking now after getting a balancing from Goodyear. But I am getting my lift installed this week so I will just wait till that is done to deal with it.

GWNF eh? what day(s)?

Howdy bro!

I'm thinkin Sunday, but Saturday would work, too. My mom wants to go out and do some tame stuff, and I've been itching to get out and get the truck dirty for a while now (a while being like a month since it's been out...haha)...so I figure a few of the trails out in the Woodstock area will be perfect...Maybe Burner's Hollow, Duncan Gap and 1702? I don't know...I'm just trying to find a couple that would take a couple hours each and are relatively close to eachother, easy to get to.

These trails are between 81 and 55 just south of Woodstock, VA.

Should be a fun day...and if it gets late, we can camp or cut it short....there's a nice campground right at the end of 1702 (aka. Peter's Mill, Woodstock Tower Trail.) :aok:

I'll start a new thread for this, so we can keep this one on topic. :aok:

New thread is in Off-Topic, Virginia Trail Rides... :aok:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5448

Edited by vengeful

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice! The Merchants I took it to was actually in Richmond. I'll take it to one of those places you guys mentioned since they're all pretty close. Hopefully it's just misaligned and nothing more. It's hard to find a dependable mechanic around here.

Man, I'd love to go wheelin' this weekend--it's been a while. Unfortunately though I have to go to another wedding down in Staunton. Maybe another time? Have a great time, and thanks again!

Matt

I head out there at least once a month. I'll let you know when the next time is...I'll be heading out there at least one more time (not including this weekend), or possibly up to Rausch Creek in PA before I have to head back up to Rochester for school.

Another place you might want to check out is Hollin Hall Automotive on Ft. Hunt Road in Alexandria. I used to work over there, and they're the only shop that I trust to do anything involved. Call them up and talk to either Tom or Mark and say that Dan Ceresi gave you their name and number, and they'll treat ya good.

Their number is: (703) 765-3722. :aok:

BTW: Mark is a master mechanic, Kevin is a master suspension tech and always get's my alignment SPOT ON and it stays that way until I do anything to it. :aok: