Painting a brush guard

nycxice13

What do you think the best paint to use on the brush guard would be. Ive been removing rust from it and smothing rough spots. But i dunno wat to use to paint it.

What color are you planning on painting it? When I bought my brush guard like 3 years ago, I bought it off ebay so it was used and had some rust spots, especially by the mounting brackets...so I sanded it down really good and sprayed black Rustoleum on there.

If you want it to look really nice, send it off to a powder coater.

Yeah you can powdercoat it but the difference in price between that an a can of Rustoleum is pretty big. I guess it all depends on what you're willing to spend and what you're looking for.

Hey Bud, check out this recent thread...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5237

That should give you some ideas. I personally suggest the POR15 as some labor and $30 will make it tough and sweet, but it comes down to what YOU want. Be sure to chime back in and tell us what you did and how it turned out (pict are nice...) !! GL

B

Not sure what the undercoating goes for, but its not too expensive. I work for 3M and get free stuff sometimes, once it was undercoating spray. The bumper paint is about the same price as any other cans of spray paint, somewhere between $5 and $10.

You should be able to get it at any auto parts store. I didn't really have any rust on mine, but there were a couple scratches, so I just cleaned the guard with some water. After it dried I sprayed the undercoating about 6 - 8 inches away from the guard. Make sure you get as new a can as you can, I had some older ones that were all dusty that didn't spray very well at all. It will basically splatter on the undercoating. I wasn't looking to completely coat the brushguard, just looking for some texture, so I just sprayed from side to side. After one coat of that, I let it dry for about an hour before painting. After 2 coats of the bumper paint it was completely covered. The bumper paint is meant to go on the plastic/fiberglass type of bumpers, so I figured it would be the best thing to go over the rubberized undercoating. It gave it a not quite flat black color, so it isn't shiny at all, which is what I was looking for.

Did you by any chance paint ur nerf bars? If so is it an involved process to take em off.

Shouldnt be too hard to remove the step bars... just a few bolts I believe.

I haven't painted my step bars, but it is just a few bolts. I would like to sell my bars before they start rusting to make up some of the cost of sliders.

Definitely go with the flat colors, it will look better IMO. Good luck with your painting!