stereo/electrical Q

jason

I have this really irritating problem where the sound of the engine comes through the speakers. It's like a constant squeal, and the pitch gets higher when the R.P.M.'s increase. Any thoughts...?

Guest Dingo3243

Questions:

How many amps are you running?

Do you have a .5 or 1 farat capacitor on the power wire to the amp?

How close are the RCA wires to the power wire when you ran it?

What brand amp(s)?

Answer these and I should be able to help you out.

ti's probably an RF [radio frequency]problem. The engine's sparking can generate a radio signal that either the stereo or th wires to the speakers are picking up. Do you have an enhanced starter coil or something like an MSD system? They may make the engine perform better but can cause problems with electronics.. Solutions are usually multifocal. First make sure your radio is functioning well and has been installed correctly [ie grounded to chasis]. It gets tougher from here.Tailpipe can actually act as antenna for engine spark RF . Make sure your tailpipe is electrically grounded to chasis [probably will need to solder /weld grounding wire from tailpipe to body] You can buy ferrite beads [type 34 , I think]that clamp on to spark plug wires, power line to radio and if required , to the speaker wires themselves.THe beads act as electromagnetic sinks or filters that can block/absorb the unwanted RF. GOOD LUCK ! --glenn

yep, grounding is the easiest thing to check and most likely the culprit... you can read these articles too and they might give you some help:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-qaeHTP.../noise_faq.html

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-qaeHTP...e_diagnose.html

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-qaeHTP...tion_guide.html

Dingo:

I am running one older rockford amp; something like 200 watts. As of now it is running to all four of my mid-range speakers and my cap (1 farad) is just taking up space, not hooked up. The RCA wires are RIGHT NEXT TO the power wire, which after reading the crutchfield article I will:

A)Check the ground wire to the amp (problem showed up post-amp-installation)

B)Re-wire RCA's on the other side of the vehicle, opposite power wire.

C)Get really pissed off if I have to do any more than that due to the fact I am lazy.

By the way I don't any aftermarket ignition system or anything of the like.

Go to Radio Shack and get the inline noise surpressors. They stopped the buzzing in my system. The audiophiles in the house will say that they rob signal to your amps but unless you really have an ear for it, you probably can't tell. I'm a lazy bastid, too. I wasn't about to rip everything out to rewire it.

oh yeah, if the rca's are on the same side as the power wire that has a high likelihood of being your problem... i've ran them close to each other in a home stereo and had noise problems so i know its not a load of BS. try relocating them and give that a shot. you shouldn't have to do anything super complicated to fix it.

Guest Dingo3243

Rewire those RCA's then wire the cap up and you should be good. if that fails buy the noise surpressors and hook them up behind your radio(for cosmetic reasons, so they aren't dangling behind your rear seat. :)