Body Lift Bolts

jumper

Having trouble getting rear and middle bolts the ones that go into a captive nut.

i can get the length ok but cant get the right thread on the bolt to fit the captive nut

what bolt size and thread have people used ?

my old bolts are:

8 x m10

2 x m12 rear

new bolts are:

4 x m12

2 x m10 captive nut cant go up a size

4 x m12

The bolts you need for that middle mount, and most other M10 and M12's, on the Pathy are a Metric Fine.

From memory the pitch on the standard metric thread at M10 is 1.25mm and at M12 is 1.5mm.

The metric fine is 1mm.

Just saw that you are in NZ as well. Try Blacks Fasteners, Hyton Parker, or Ullrichs.

I got mine from Blacks in ChCh, no probs. The high tensile are hellishly expensive though. The 10 bolts I bought were like $120.

Al.

Edited by NZ Terrano Owner

i went to Hyton Parker and they said they will make some calls

about the price i called someone in auckland and was quoted $100+ for the bolts

my old man ordered the bolts from hyton parker he forget to mention the fine thread but still only $36 for 10 200mm high tensile bolts with nuts locknuts and washers.

still waiting on the fine thread bolts for the captives

the bolt man at hyton parker said he has phoned around at least 14 general

bolt shops and a few oddball shops but no luck. one shop had m10 threaded rod 2m at $170nz and it might be 8.8 ! but he told them where to go. a couple suggested rounding or cutting the bolt head off and rethreading to 1.25mm thread. could be done as the bolts i have are over lenght.

as it turns out the man at hyton parker is a member of a few local 4x4 clubs and suggested that a few in the club had cut the floor pan to get at the captive nuts, removed them then just used a different bolt.

is the captive nut just welded to a plate or else ?

the lift will be about 80mm.

That surprises me, as I'm sure I have bought metric fine bolts from Hyton Parker before.

Do you not have a Blacks Fasteners where you are at? If not try phoning the ChCh one as that is where I got mine from. Just had a thought. You might have a job getting metric fine over a certain length? My lift was only 50mm, so from memory the bolts were around the 150mm.

Al

Edited by NZ Terrano Owner

Has anybody ever tried cutting the sheet metal gently from the top to reach and possibly remove/replace the nut deal inside the body with something more standard in size? Its all covered with carpet, so it may be worth a careful attempt (at least in the rear) as long as you property prep, weld and seal when you're done. Just a thought, cause maybe you could throw a couple dollar standard thread bolt on with a little bit of work. :shrug:

my buddy had to do just that to his '84 chev pickup when he did the body mounts. Drilled a 1.5 inch whole (bored it i guess) and burned out the old mounts. You can weld it back up or pop rivet a metal plate over it and silicone all around it. welding looks and works best though... not that anyone ever sees that area again, but still.