Automatic Hubs - Problem

cupples95

:help:

I just recently had both CV Axles replaced because they were both busted and most or all of the grease was gone. Now, occasionally, when I slow down to around 20 or 25 mph my wheels begin to squeak. (Ouch, I hate squeaks!) I know it is not the brakes because I just had them done and rechecked. The squeaking also happens when I take off from a stop. My question is, could this be my automatice hubs and what will happen if I do not replace them?

this is an indirect answer...does anyone think that this could be the automatic hub dust cover thingy that there was a post about a month ago...

...this dust cover would actually generate noise while braking...thus you are correct it is not actually the brakes but the dust cover that is sandwhich'd in there!!! P...

88...you're the pro here!!! B)

Maybe you can remember the post to search for a lnky-loo!! :aok:

Usualy the auto hubs will give a sound closer to a grinding noise and a pop at the end if they start to go bad. I doubt that they would be your problem.

98 Silverpathy might be going in the right direction though. The problem he is talking about is the brake dust cover though and not the auto hub dust cover (i beleive). If a rock gets wedged up behind there, it will sound awful. Worst than bad brakes and the noise won't go away when you hit the brakes. It might change pitch (higher lo lower or vise versa) if you go side to side when your driving.

Take your wheel off and with a flashlight check between this plate and your brake disk. This is the plate that is behind your disk, sorta half moon in shape and towards the lower to back part of your brake assembly.

Let us know the outcome,

Denis

95 SE 140,000 miles. By the way, I took it back to the shop 3 times after having the CV axles replaced and the front brakes. They totally redid the brakes AND the CV axle replacement. Still squeaks, not quite as bad. Seems like it has to get hot before it starts. It is driving me crazy though!! :(

I took mine off with no problem. It's supposed to be a guard to stop mud and such from splashing on to your rotors. I find it just gets the mud wedged in there tighter if you do any amount of mudding. When it gets rusted, it will get weaker and probably cause rubbing problems.

Just my opinion.

Denis

did they cut the rotors when they did the brakes??? I had to have mine cut (both fron and rear) to finally get rid of the squeaking similar to what you have, only when hot, and when slowing down. Check and see, or call the shop. Good luck.

Could be that they missed out the clips and shims that prevent the pads from squeaking.

Could be wheel bearings.

Would not be the autohub, nothing in there to squeak when dissengaged

Would not be the CV's, as they are static when you are out of 4x4.

So its back to the brakes.

Stones in disc heat sheild ( i suppose thats what you guys are calling the dust cover??), stones cought in the calliper.

Calliper bolts loose.

Shims and shim clips missing from the caliper.

I suppose you are getting into summer in the northern hemisphere, so it could be melting tar on the roads making tiny bits of road chip stick to the calipers or heat sheild, or if its snoy and slushy, again small bits of road chip getting into things.

Try reversing down the road fast for a couple of hundred meters. That works to get rid of stones in the brakes sometimes

I had to have mine cut (both fron and rear) to finally get rid of the squeaking

What exactly do you mean "cut". I know that they did turn the rotors but I don't think they were cut. P...