Howdy All, a newbie with a suspention question

Guest Jim Will

Guest Jim Will

I'm talking about my mothers 96 Pathfinder SE. Completely stock with the exception of a WAAG front brush bar and tailight guards. Tires are Bridgestone Duelers (replaced approx 20k ago)

The vehicle has 78k on the odo. It has been maintained as per the owners manual, truck was purchased in 1999 with 25k on the odo.

My question is as follows: approx 2 months ago, my mother began complaining about a pitch/rocking sensation from the rear end of the truck over one wheeled bumps at highway speeds (50+mph).

I test drove it and didn't feel anything.

Fast forward to last week. My mother (and my sister) tell me the same thing, except now it's much more noticeable. I test drive, and this time I do feel it. It feels like someone is jumping up and down on the running boards. A one wheeled bump on the front end is ok, hit the same bump on the rear axle and the truck begins a sickening side-to-side motion, the vehicle rocking side to side like a pendulum.

I immediately think it's the shocks, pick up a set of regular Monroe-Matics and install them. The stock shocks were shot, they did have some compression resistance left, but there was absolutely 0 extension resistance.

The rear end was much more planted, but I still felt a slight rocking sensation once over a bump that was taken in midcorner at highway speed. The rocking was squashed within one up-down cycle, but it was there. Upon returning from the test drive, I checked the tire pressure. All four tires were at 30 psi (hot). I upped the pressure to 35psi (hot) and re-tested. Could not re-create the problem.

With the mileage the truck has, I will have the front struts replaced within the month, but can anyone else suggest any other problem areas that I can investigate?

I checked all the bushings/links in the front and rear suspension, and they all appear/feel normal. The front struts are not leaking, and there is no significant bounce in the front end. My mother only uses the truck as a grocery getter, with the occasional interstate trip of 300-500 miles (2-3x's per year)

Thanks in advance