Writeup for timing belt change?

There are a bunch of threads on the topic on this site that have some good info and tips, you need to use the search function to find them.

There was a "how-to" but it got kiboshed and nobody has made another one since.

You can check this site out too, there's a thread somewhere that explains how to find the correct belt tension that I found useful.

http://wd21forums.damagedreality.com/phpbb...wtopic.php?t=13

Edited by madhatter_xe

You don't need to pull the engine, you do need to remove the majority of the parts off the front of the engine and in the front engine bay, after that you can get to everything pretty easily.

Since it is such a time-consuming job, most people change the water pump, thermostat, cam seals, t-belt and t-belt tensioner all at once. The job takes a while, but isn't too difficult, everything is usually well marked and it is easy to line everything up for TDC. A Chilton's or factory repair manual would make it alot easier too.

On the other hand, it's not a job you want to chance messing up too badly either since it could result in permanent engine damage.

Guest vERSATILE

These Pathfinders are tough! I bought an 88 from a guy i have known from a distance for years. The truck has 194,000 miles on it and he only owned it for two years. He said he always kept the oil changed etc as the conversation went (out in front of Quik Trip). and i bought it from him at night and picked it up at night this last winter. We towed it home because the water pump was out and parked it out back for the winter until recently. After starting to work on it i determine that changing the oil was the only thing that was EVER done to it! This thing even had the original fuel filter. I think the water pump had been changed but uncertain about the timing belt. I later asked the dufe about it and he said "well everything is so all together that we couldn't figure where to start to do a tune-up".

Okay guys,

New and very frustrating problem. I just bought a 88 Pathy, and it was acting up like noted in the FAQ, by not starting one minute and then starting the next, or needing a jump to start. I took it back to the used lot where I purchased, and they just replaced the battery a week ago, but now the problem persists. I turn the key over and NOTHING. Not a click, or anything, but the battery shows no sign of wear, heck it is NEW!

In this case, could my starter indeed be out and not just the "hard starting defect" as noted in the FAQs? :hide:

These Pathfinders are tough! I bought an 88 from a guy i have known from a distance for years. The truck has 194,000 miles on it and he only owned it for two years. He said he always kept the oil changed etc as the conversation went (out in front of Quik Trip). and i bought it from him at night and picked it up at night this last winter. We towed it home because the water pump was out and parked it out back for the winter until recently. After starting to work on it i determine that changing the oil was the only thing that was EVER done to it! This thing even had the original fuel filter. I think the water pump had been changed but uncertain about the timing belt. I later asked the dufe about it and he said "well everything is so all together that we couldn't figure where to start to do a tune-up".

Holy smokes. Well now...where would you start?