Brake compatibility?

boybiskit

Long time lurker, first time poster with a brake question. I have a rusty but trusty 2003 Pathfinder Chilkoot. I'm thinking about a brake refurb so wondering what other Nissan models the calipers and drums are shared with? My plan is to buy some calipers and drums from the scrapyard, rebuild while keeping the Pathfinder on the road (first time so it will take forever) and then fit the new ones. It'll be helpful to know what other less popular models I can rob parts off to give me more choice. Any hints on cheapest places to buy caliper seals / Washington state scrap yards also appreciated (I'm in BC, Canada but can easily cross into the US for parts).

I'm doing this because (1) pedal feel is awful, (2) shoes and pads / rotors need doing soon and (3) fluid looks pretty gunky, so I might as well flush them.

And because it's my first post, here is a pic of her in action

228847136_Screenshot2023-07-319_40_56PM.png.34c3c42f7d60de5c346125fb2f7bfea3.png

3 hours ago, boybiskit said:

Long time lurker, first time poster with a brake question. I have a rusty but trusty 2003 Pathfinder Chilkoot. I'm thinking about a brake refurb so wondering what other Nissan models the calipers and drums are shared with? My plan is to buy some calipers and drums from the scrapyard, rebuild while keeping the Pathfinder on the road (first time so it will take forever) and then fit the new ones. It'll be helpful to know what other less popular models I can rob parts off to give me more choice. Any hints on cheapest places to buy caliper seals / Washington state scrap yards also appreciated (I'm in BC, Canada but can easily cross into the US for parts).

I'm doing this because (1) pedal feel is awful, (2) shoes and pads / rotors need doing soon and (3) fluid looks pretty gunky, so I might as well flush them.

And because it's my first post, here is a pic of her in action

228847136_Screenshot2023-07-319_40_56PM.png.34c3c42f7d60de5c346125fb2f7bfea3.png

Since you have a 2003, you already have the larger r50 rotors. There are no other brakes (rotors/drums) that will swap right in unless you do a rear disc conversion. That involves parts from an older wd21 pathfinder. It's not easy work and the benefits probably aren't worth it.

OK thanks. To be clear, I'm not looking to upgrade, I'm just wondering if calipers and drums are shared with other Nissan models from around the same time. If, for example, the calipers were shared with a Sentra I would have way more choice of vehicles when I get to the scrap yard.

Much as a rear disc conversion would be nice, I've read how much work it is. Add in some rusty parts and I think it would take a lifetime to complete a conversion!

• 4 weeks later...

Are the 2003 rotors and calipers a direct bolt up? Granted you have the wheel sizing for it? Looking on rock auto that looks like the case in the info pages for each year. I am looking to upgrade, the bigger tires are deffinetly heavier

edit: read it again and saw it fits right in. I do plan on doing this soon my rotors are real bad

Edited by Strato_54