After market “performance” mufflers exhaust

Tried searching didn’t see a thread. If there’s one plz link it.

Have had the pathy for over 10 years (12 now wow) with 220k on it it’s a 97 VG. And she’s a bit boring. I am thinking about changing stuff and want to see what everyone’s experiences are with any uni fit mufflers or what’s out there. Not scared to weld/fab up what’s needed to make somthing fit. Don’t really dont want it annoyingly loud but maybe a lil sound be nice. Do these engines sound decent ? Maybe some performance to boot? It’s all the original parts at the moment.

What y’all got ?

Not sure about the VG, but the VQ is very much the same as the one in the 350z that has been ridiculed forever for the awful raspy sound it makes. Not sure if it's just me, but there's something unpleasant about the noise V6 engines make unless it's something weird like VW's VR6 or something with ITBs. Specifically for the VG, search for videos of Maximas with aftermarket exhausts, like this (it sounds terrible IMHO): 

What I always tell people is: muffler delete or exhaust mods = guaranteed annoying drone. If you want to hear the engine a bit more just get a CAI. At best you'll get a couple more hp, at worst you'll lose some due to hot air, but under full throttle you'll get a nice throaty intake noise and silence when cruising.

Before spending a cent, drive around the block with the air filter removed and see if that's good enough for you.

Edited by EricCR

• 4 weeks later...