Should I install a SFD? Looking for opinions.

jaymzinsa

Hello all, my name is james. I am trying to decide whether to install a 4” SFD into my pathy and am soliciting opinions. I rebuilt this 02 5spd about a year ago. I have replaced and upgraded every suspension link, control arm, etc. Has a new rack and pinion with high articulating cvs and warn manual hubs. Up front I used OME struts and AC lift springs. In back i have 9449 defender springs with bilsteins. Gave me a slight rake but i can live with it, plus i’m gonna install a heavy

coastal offroad bumper/tire carrier so that may even it out some. Gonna install some sfcreation skid plates soon, already have the missing link. The tires are 265/70r16 toyo open country on procomps with -19 offset. I want to run a bigger tire but dont want to compromise ground clearance. The boss gave me a hall pass so pretty much all suggestions are in play. 4388cfd3c70b6dfe51b7ce2714e2e8f1.jpg

f009454abfd74e9831421f3121cb79b5.jpg

6279b0ad43bcfe3cfe296a85080eb202.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jaymzinsa

• jaymzinsa changed the title to Should I install a SFD? Looking for opinions.

What kinds of trails do you enjoy running? I have done some pretty significant rock crawling with only 32s or 265-75-16s and a 2” AC lift, which I had for over 15 years. I’ve got a steel bumper, winch, rock sliders, low range 3.7 crawler gears in the TX10 part time transfer case, and dual air lockers. All that served me very well until I finally got a 4” subframe drop to add to the 2” lift, and 6” rear springs, along with 285-75-16s. To be honest, I don’t think it made as much difference in capability on extreme terrain as lockers and crawler gears. Sure, I can fit 33s instead of 32s, but that’s only 1/2” more ground clearance. The extra 4” of clearance from adding the SFD only means I can be lazier and sloppier about picking a line than before.

I personally don’t think a SFD gets you as much bang for your buck as decent tires, armor, winch, lockers, or crawler gears. If you have a green light to spend money on your rig, get crawler gears if you have the TX10 case. It’ll be a night and day difference, especially with a 5 speed manual.

• Like 1

Ok, so I just looked more closely at your photos. You can run 265/75s easily with little to no modifications, especially after you install a steel bumper. Remove your side steps and install proper rock sliders.

Thanks for your response. I am in Scottsdale and run a lot of the AZ desert trails. I don't really do any serious rock crawling but otherwise like to push the limits of my pathy as far as climbs/descents, off camber stuff, etc. I like to take those two monkeys in the pics out to remote fishing and camping spots. I appreciate your candor about adding the sfd. I agree, my current 2" lift set up is quite capable and has gotten me wherever I have wanted to go as long as I take the proper line. The Jeep guys I head out with are amazed. Interesting thought on the low range gear transfer case, gonna look into that. Also agree on putting in some proper rock sliders. I have a question about replacing my front bumper. What do you do about the part of the intake that will be hanging out and left exposed? Final question, what mods do you think I need to run 265/75s or maybe even 32x11.5s?

You can remove the part of the intake that hangs below if it becomes an issue after you install an aftermarket bumper. The large size of the intake is mainly to reduce resonance. You can fabricate your own intake piping behind the fender if you want.

To get better off road performance with your current lift, you can remove the rear sway bar and install longer rear shocks if you haven’t already done that. Depending on how much clearance there is between your strut and the tire shoulder with your current wheels, you should be able to fit 265/75R16 tires without issue. (If there’s insufficient clearance you can install wheel spacers or different wheels) You might need to do some minor trimming or heat gun re-forming of the plastic wheel well liner.