VG30E Crankshaft Timing Sprocket Question

bamashooter

Background: 

Changing timing belt, tensioner, front oil seal.

Took close to 10 man hours with a heavy equipment mechanic buddy of mine doing most of the attempted removal of the sprocket. Beating the dog crap out of pick forks, crowbars, etc. Budged enough to get a claw-style pulled on it. Perhaps another 1/64" moved with it. I finally took an air chisel to it and after about 10 minutes it cracked / popped free.

Between the sprocket and oil seal is a large-diameter shim / washer, etc piece of metal. Believe the common nomenclature for it is "crankshaft timing plate". Haven't found it's role but I'm thinking it's for keeping the timing belt away from the oil pump housing. Not a guide in the traditional sense. It got beat to hell and back during the process. I tapped it and squeezed it in a large vise between two 1x4s. Perhaps useable in an emergency.

Two questions:

I purchased a Dayco sprocket from Auto Zone online. Never could find what I thought was the proper "shim" online. Went to the local Nissan dealership. Two things. No mechanic had any experience or knew zilch regarding the VG30 V6. Amazing. The parts kid managed to order a 2-pack of the shims. Received and as all others I found online, these are the same diameter, however, they are slightly dish / cupped on one side. Slotted for key. Fairly certain the factory shim was not however it appears to have been machined with a slight recess on one side. The more I compare the more similarity I see between the 2. Convex side out toward radiator. Any comments on the shim?

The sprocket:

The teeth on the factory sprocket are deep. The new sprocket shallow. Both the new / old belts fit perfectly in each sprocket. The only difference I see is an empty space beneath the belt lugs on the older, deeper sprocket. My friend tells me that space is for cooling the belt. No idea if that's true. I have yet to see a photo of a new, deep sprocket. Everything I see online is the shallow style for the VG-series. Comments? I am considering having the sprocket drilled and tapped for 6mm bolts to use with a simple puller should the need arise. I have now pretty much polished the front end of the crank shaft. Yesterday morning was 1 degree and got up to 9*. It's current a balmy 12 here in north-central Alabama. Rolling blackouts. Not a bunch of fun. By this coming Friday it shows pushing 70. Crazy.

Third:

Replacing lower radiator hose. I find nowhere online the small section which connects to the thermostat housing. None. Mine "seems" ok after a good cleaning and drowned in silicone. Thinking perhaps I could buy a short straight hose and cut-off a short length?

Thanks guys and have a safe, Merry Christmas.

QLWdWTW.jpg