New guy, looking at a 1st gen, price check?

grahm

Selling a 3rd gen Tacoma because the army pays me in pocket change and I'm looking at classic 4x4s. Nissan pathfinder seems like a good fit, reliable engine not too expensive. I found one for sale but he's asking a steep price for it, around $15,000

I don't know much about the old pathfinders, so I'm really not sure if this is a good deal or not

It's comparable to other 4x4s I've seen since everyone now thinks their old P.O.S. Tacoma's with 300k on them are still 10 grand. This is really the only one listed in my area and I'm wondering if it's a good deal? It's a little bit expensive for me but if I'm buying something that's going to last forever I don't mind.

The owner says regular maintenance has been conducted, replaced timing belt recently and the frame doesn't have a spot of rust on it, as well as the interior is immaculate. 

Only 99k miles

1993 pathfinder XE, 4x4, five speed manual

Am I crazy or is this a good deal?

Tldr, is this one worth $15000?

00n0n_gypknmZT1aJz_0CI0pP_1200x900.jpg

:welcome:

That looks like a very clean rig. It's towards the higher end of pricing, but not the highest I've seen. One went for $20k on Bringatrailer.

If you don't mind doing some wrenching, and you aren't looking for a museum piece, you can likely find one much cheaper than that. My '93 cost less than a grand (pre-Covid), but it had about 230k on the clock and needed some work.

They are reliable, but any 30-year old truck will need some work done eventually. If you don't do your own wrenching, you may have some trouble finding a mechanic willing/competent to work on OBD1 fuel injection. 

2 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

:welcome:

That looks like a very clean rig. It's towards the higher end of pricing, but not the highest I've seen. One went for $20k on Bringatrailer.

If you don't mind doing some wrenching, and you aren't looking for a museum piece, you can likely find one much cheaper than that. My '93 cost less than a grand (pre-Covid), but it had about 230k on the clock and needed some work.

They are reliable, but any 30-year old truck will need some work done eventually. If you don't do your own wrenching, you may have some trouble finding a mechanic willing/competent to work on OBD1 fuel injection. 

Yeah I do everything on my own besides major engine tear downs. Is there something with the feul injection system on these that are weird or difficult compared to other engines?

Good, you should be well-equipped for this then. :aok:

There's nothing too weird with the EFI, just the usual OBD1 stuff. Blinky-lights diagnostics, limited live data. It's not as easy to diagnose as OBD2, but it's not too bad if you don't mind spending some quality time with the EF&EC section of the service manual.

Cardiagn has the '90 manual for square-dash, Nicoclub has the '94/'95 manual for round-dash. Both are free. I have not found a '93 manual in PDF form, and mine's square-dash, so I use the '90. 

• 4 weeks later...