Rear Trailing Arm Movement (the bad kind?) and a Clunk

noseknows

I've started to notice a light "clunk" when accelerating from a complete stop or when getting on the gas from a slower speed. I did some searching around in the forum and saw that people tend to attribute the clunk to either bad motor mounts or bad trailing arm bushings. I checked to see if my engine jumps up when I gas it in gear and there doesn't seem to be a big movement in either the engine or transfer case shifter. I did, however,  get under the pathy to check the rear arms and the bushings look pretty typical for what I imagine a 20 year old truck would look like. I am able to grab the control arm in the middle and twist it fairly easily like I'm twisting the throttle on a motorcycle. How much twist would be common with new bushings? I'm curious if my current bushings are within normal spec because I don't seem to get much wobble or instability at higher speeds. Anything else I might be missing? 

You shouldn't really be able to twist the control arms much- I think you've found your clunk!   I just replaced mine, made a huge difference.  And I never had any sign of "death wobble" which is usually the sure sign of worn arm bushings.

Also, two of my bushings were completely detached internally, though it was not easy to see until they were removed.

Start spraying the nuts and bolts with penetrating fluid now... they were pretty tight on mine - a big battle to remove them with large breaker bars, torches, and eventually a couple of the nuts had to be drilled and cut.

• Like 1