spare tire spacing

lily0gi

i finally ended up getting my new tires. the ride is so comfy now. i ended up getting the bridgestone dueler A/T revos in 31x10.5. now i have a question for you about the spare tire. can a 31x10.5 tire fit on the spare rack/mount in the trunk area for a 95 pathy? if so, then i'll just buy a 5th 31x10.5 tire and mount it there. if not, can i use the stock spare tire (much smaller) as a fourth wheel with the other three tires at a different size? (i know that's a really dumb question, but i'm still new to this whole offroading lifestyle). thanks for your help...

That size tire definatley fits, I bought an extra full size alloy stock rim from a tire place and had them mount one of my old 31X10.5 on it and it fits on my carrier perfectly. The only down side (which doesn't bother me) is that your rear view is a little more obstructed. Be careful of the carrier itself, the hinge pins tend to seize up on the older ones(especially with the added weight of the larger tire). I did away with those goofy steel pins, and put stainless 5/8" bolts in instead. The bolt on the bottom of the carrier has to go in from the bottom though, otherwise it hits the bumper. Also, use never-seize or a good grease on the bolts when installing them.

thanks for the info, but i think i forgot to mention something. my spare tire doesn't mount on the outside of the car. i've got a 95 le and my spare goes in the inside left of the trunk area. are there aftermarket kits for an outside spare tire mount/rack? if so what brands are good? ideally i'd like to stay away from buying an outside mount kit if the 31x10.5s will fit on the inside. anyway, any help is appreciated...

I've got a BFG M/T 31x10.50 mounted on a stock Isuzu Trooper rim inside on my stock tire mount. It's a real tight fit, but after you get it in there and bolted down, not a problem. Of course, mine has about 50% tread left, so a fully treaded tire might be an even tighter fit, but yes, it's entirely possible.

• 6 months later...

I'm looking at mounting a BFG All-Terrain T/A (31 x 10.50 R15) on the stock swing-out spare-tire carrier on my '92 Pathfinder. My question to all who have gone before is, since the new tire is larger than the stock temporary spare, will my rear window clear the tire when I open it? Does anyone have any other hints about mounting a full-size spare-tire?

Thanks.......

I have a full size 31 on my carrier and have no problems. Even if it did interfere, it's as simple as a tug on the carrier handle. I typically pull the carrier away to give be easier access to throwing things in the window.