Undercarriage visibility

PathyGig12

Hey guys, I’m new here but I was wondering what everyone thought about undercarriage visibility aids while wheeling on nasty terrain? I’m sure lots of other people have had this idea by now, but I just wanted to start a conversation and get some tips as to how to best implement it. It’s a project I’d like to work on after the lift is complete on my 01 LE.

I found this kit that’s intended to be used as a backup camera (if you’re too lazy to look over your shoulder I guess?), but I was thinking I could repurpose it for use as an undercarriage camera on the rear axle pointing forward which would automatically switch on as soon as 4wd was activated. Now, the main issue is that these things are designed to be wired into your reverse lights so that they can only come on when you are actually backing up. How difficult would it be to wire it for activation when in 4wd? Off the top of my head, I’m imagining a way to tap into the hot wire for the dash light that indicates 4wd is engaged (R50 pathfinder), but I suppose it’s also possible to hook it up to the selector switch itself (2wd-AUTO-4wd-4LOW). Either way, I’m not experienced enough to know where this would have to be done, so I’m looking for ideas. 

If anyone has done anything remotely similar, I’d love to hear about it. Oh and this next part is a mostly a joke, by if you have any suggestions for making the monitor sit flush in top of the dash and flip up upon activation, mega bonus points to you! Because that would be awesome 

I remember seeing pictures a while back of a blue Yota FJ with a bunch of screens above the windshield showing various angles below the car. This isn't that build thread but it's pretty much the same idea. You could trigger the system from the 4x4 light, but I'd just put it on a toggle switch so I wouldn't have a bright screen in my face whenever it snowed. Which raises another issue: how do you keep the under-car camera lens clean? It's no good if you have to stop, get out, crawl underneath, and clean the snow/mud/dust off the lens before you can use it.

As for making the screen pop up, my first dumb idea involves a pop-up headlight from an 80s sports car mounted into the dash (I did say it was a dumb idea). Some touch-screen double-DIN stereos take a video input, I think some people do backup cameras that way, so that would be an easy way to go and hidden when you don't need it. Or just strap a small screen to the back of the sun visor.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I remember seeing pictures a while back of a blue Yota FJ with a bunch of screens above the windshield showing various angles below the car. This isn't that build thread but it's pretty much the same idea. You could trigger the system from the 4x4 light, but I'd just put it on a toggle switch so I wouldn't have a bright screen in my face whenever it snowed. Which raises another issue: how do you keep the under-car camera lens clean? It's no good if you have to stop, get out, crawl underneath, and clean the snow/mud/dust off the lens before you can use it.

As for making the screen pop up, my first dumb idea involves a pop-up headlight from an 80s sports car mounted into the dash (I did say it was a dumb idea). Some touch-screen double-DIN stereos take a video input, I think some people do backup cameras that way, so that would be an easy way to go and hidden when you don't need it. Or just strap a small screen to the back of the sun visor.

Very interesting point about keeping the lens clean, I hadn’t thought of that. I suppose it would have to be placed in a location that receives a relatively low amount of spray from the wheels, and just make sure to opt for the undercarriage option at the car wash? Maybe if I can recess it into a sleeve of some sort it would further minimize the dust and dirt exposure, but it would be a fine line because I wouldn’t want to limit the viewing angle too much. 

I’ll have to play around with mounting ideas once I actually have the monitor in hand and know exactly what I’m working with. But one question I had was whether the R50 dash had anything important within a few inches under the surface that would prevent me from recessing the monitor and flip up mechanism into the dash?

3 hours ago, R50JR said:

The quality of these cameras isn’t very good. They don’t do well adjusting light/shadows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate the input. Do you think mounting a small off-road light pointed in the same direction would be a possible solution? 

Either way, the camera is pretty cheap so I cant see a reason why I shouldn’t give it a shot. 

I appreciate the input. Do you think mounting a small off-road light pointed in the same direction would be a possible solution? 

Either way, the camera is pretty cheap so I cant see a reason why I shouldn’t give it a shot. 

Here is my front view camera. I use it when I cannot see over the hood while climbing. I’d say its a cool thing to have but I wouldn’t buy a monitor for it. Mine is hooked up to my HU and I can view the camera anytime car is on.
34152eb1150a017377b32657d57207c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk