Locking Factory Roof Rack Cross Bars

Trainman

On an 02, how do you lock the factory roof rack cross bars to keep them from moving?

I have a Thule cargo carrier (the coffin as the kids call it) mounted on my roof rack cross bars. So it can clear the rear hatch when it is opened, the front bar has to be as far forward on the track as it can go. But when I get onto rougher roads, the bar will work its way past the front stop and would eventually come off, although this has not happened yet, only half out of the track. I can not see any way of clamping down the cross bars, no knobs, screws etc. The owners manual shows knobs for tightening these down but there are none on mine, not even a hole for them. Ideas? (They are Nissan cross bars, not aftermarket) :shrug:

Thanks

not sure if yours are like mine... (sorry I dont have a pic,, not something ive ever concidered snapping a pic of)

but mine have a rubber piece that runs across the length of the bar - along the top, if you peel it back from the corners, there are screws there to tighten... I believe it's some fandangled hex though - I was told I should have a tool for it - came with the truck - but I dont...

I actually want to get the factory bars off of my truck, as we put the thule bars on it... but we couldnt get them off...

Thanks Pezzy :aok: , are those hexagonal with a pin in the middle? If so, looks like I need to go to the dealer to get the tool.

As for removing the factory bars, my front one was just about ready to come off on its own! :laugh: Looks like it would be easy to remove the front stop on each rail, only one star type bolt holding it in, then slide the bars off. Your garage should be able to do it quick.

Again, thanks.

Thanks Pezzy :aok: , are those hexagonal with a pin in the middle?

yes siree!

Problem is, to push the second one all the way forward, I have to disconnect my cb antenna, as it is in front of it, which means tearing apart the inside of the truck to disconnect from the CB. It's a magna mount, and doesnt fit under the bar.

So, the bars stay on!