Need 2 new Keyless Remotes

sigtauenus

Did a search first and didn't find anything, sorry if this has been asked already.

Got a 98 Pathfinder with the standard keyless remote with lock, unlock and panic.

One of them wasn't working at all, popped it open and the unlock button had separated at the solder joints. That's considered dead even though I could probably try soldering it again and seeing if that fixed it, but I just don't have the time to play with it.

Second one is acting intermittantly, sometimes it locks the truck, other times not, sometimes it unlocks the truck, other times not. I'm thinking it might be the battery and will replace that first before buying a new one.

Regardless, I'm looking for at least one new remote. I've seen that they sell for $130 at the dealer with it recoded, and I've seen them as cheap as 9.99 on ebay, but with no guarantee, I could be getting another one just as used as the one I have and want to get a new one, I don't plan on selling my Pathfinder any time soon (120,000 miles and still cooking!)

Anybody know of a reasonable place to get a new OEM remote, or if my price from the dealer is way off?

TIA,

Sam

Edit: its been awhile since I've been here, posted this before I saw the new classifieds section, moderator feel free to move the topic if you feel it would be more appropriate in parts wanted forum.

Edited by sigtauenus

yea, ebay, I got 2 for 30 bucks, the recode instructions are pinned in the 96+ forum. It's easy. Just do a search by the FCCID located on the back of the remote

my remote had the same problem, sometimes working, sometimes not. I took it apart and yep... the solder joints were broken. Being cheap, and not wanting to heat up the ol' soldering iron, I just glued the puppy with a little dabbed right in the center and...good as new. it's been working like a champ for a good 6 months now.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, what a great idea! I'm going to go give that a shot right now!!

thanks for the info, I didn't realize they were so prolific on ebay. Most seem to be advertised as for Quests or Altima's, but the one for the Quest seems to look the same and has the same code. Funny thing, I was just visiting grandma and she has a Mercury minivan, and it has the same remote, same FCC code, just doesn't have Nissan molded into the end of it.

Reminds me of something me and some friends would do as kids...keep in mind we were 15-16 yrs old....There was this old lady who lived around the corner, and she always had toy balls or fake flowers or something on her car's antenna....we used to steal them all the time just to see what she would put up there next....She started getting pretty extravagent in what she would put up there.....It was funny! Then I found out that the reason she did was so she could find her car in a parking lot, I felt really really bad then and would go mow her lawn for free.....