basic air intake mods

GILBERJ32

I'm wanting to do some slight intake mods...2001...4x2...3.5...215K miles  The original intake tube from the MAF to throttle body is cracked to the point of no repair. Replacing with straight tube. I would like to keep the original air box instead of open filter because I live in AZ and I do go to some remote lakes and camping sites. Just trying to keep it as clean as possible.  Was considering using tubes from the front bumper vents next to the fog lights and screening it off. Don't want any family of climbing turtles moving in there. Then running it up into the bottom of the airbox & using Oil Base filter. Also thinking about eliminating the fender baffle tube...but how/where/what do I connect that sensor to...?  any help?   

On 10/26/2018 at 10:58 AM, GILBERJ32 said:

I'm wanting to do some slight intake mods...2001...4x2...3.5...215K miles  The original intake tube from the MAF to throttle body is cracked to the point of no repair. Replacing with straight tube. I would like to keep the original air box instead of open filter because I live in AZ and I do go to some remote lakes and camping sites. Just trying to keep it as clean as possible.  Was considering using tubes from the front bumper vents next to the fog lights and screening it off. Don't want any family of climbing turtles moving in there. Then running it up into the bottom of the airbox & using Oil Base filter. Also thinking about eliminating the fender baffle tube...but how/where/what do I connect that sensor to...?  any help?   

Is there any way to remove / relocate the air temp sensor? 

Edited by GILBERJ32

On 10/29/2018 at 5:33 PM, GILBERJ32 said:

Is there any way to remove / relocate the air temp sensor? 

Yup.  When I modified my air intake, I removed everything below the air box (the stuff that goes down into the bumper/fender area), blocked off that hole, added a 4" hole in the top of the box (protected with screen mesh), and then relocated the air temp sensor to the front of the air box; just drill a hole of the appropriate size.

43 minutes ago, GILBERJ32 said:

That’s what I was thinking about doing with the sensor.  Thanks.    

I do have pictures documenting my air intake mod if you'd like to see them, I'd have to find them though; don't have the vehicle anymore so I can't just go take more unfortunately.