Transfer Case - Front Drive Shaft

Nissman

Ok guys so I need your help and guidance.

When I put my 2002 Pathfinder in Auto and drive on the highway at high speed my front shaft seems to be playing up I reckon .

I switch it back to 2wd and it goes away .

I hopped under the car and the I can wobble the rear of the front shaft a little and it seems to be in the transfer case of it . Would that be my front and rear bearings? Would it be a hard fix ? And would I need specific tools or can I get away with normal tools .

Here's the diagram it seems to be a bolt and a few bearings any one overhauled it before? c9377d99a2e977eeba7c8a3981747949.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The exploded diagram you have there is the TX10A, which is the manual box (shifter sticks up through the floor). If yours has an Auto mode (with the heater-knob looking selector on the dash), you have the ATX14A, which is a different beast. The correct diagram should be in the same section of the service manual.

I've heard of a few people taking these apart for various reasons but I don't think I've seen a writeup. Seems like they tend to hold up pretty well. Are you sure it's the output shaft on the transfer that's sloppy and not the driveshaft's rear U joint?

The exploded diagram you have there is the TX10A, which is the manual box (shifter sticks up through the floor). If yours has an Auto mode (with the heater-knob looking selector on the dash), you have the ATX14A, which is a different beast. The correct diagram should be in the same section of the service manual.

I've heard of a few people taking these apart for various reasons but I don't think I've seen a writeup. Seems like they tend to hold up pretty well. Are you sure it's the output shaft on the transfer that's sloppy and not the driveshaft's rear U joint?

might be the front shaft uni joint maybe but I'll have to take it out to check it's not sloppy on the drive though only seems on the inside of the unit

That sucks. Hopefully it's an easy fix once you get it apart and it hasn't chewed anything else up.

Hope so if you had it running in auto mode just driving around would that damage it . I've been going in between 2wd and Auto on the open highway and even towing on auto I reckon . I'm thinking I've damaged it in some way .

I don't know the ATX14A but I don't think it's supposed to mind that sort of thing. My understanding is that it's like the transfer in a modern AWD car or crossover, and it just monitors the front and rear wheel speeds to see if the rears are slipping and engages a wet clutch to send power to the front wheels if they do. It's not like driving around in 4HI. Even if you did somehow manage to roast the clutches inside, I don't see how that would've eaten a bearing.

I'd check fluid level and condition. Maybe a seal went bad and enough fluid escaped to starve that bearing? If it did, I'd expect more problems, given that the unit is hydraulically operated with a pump and a filter and everything. Unless you're up for a challenge, maybe see what the local wrecking yard wants for one.

• Like 3

I don't know the ATX14A but I don't think it's supposed to mind that sort of thing. My understanding is that it's like the transfer in a modern AWD car or crossover, and it just monitors the front and rear wheel speeds to see if the rears are slipping and engages a wet clutch to send power to the front wheels if they do. It's not like driving around in 4HI. Even if you did somehow manage to roast the clutches inside, I don't see how that would've eaten a bearing.

I'd check fluid level and condition. Maybe a seal went bad and enough fluid escaped to starve that bearing? If it did, I'd expect more problems, given that the unit is hydraulically operated with a pump and a filter and everything. Unless you're up for a challenge, maybe see what the local wrecking yard wants for one.

I changed my front and rear diff fluid today and put some Nulon G70 . Looked like I didn't have the full amount of rear diff fluid in and the front was very runny like it had normal engine oil changed it and put some Premium oil in and it sounds much better with the rear diff hum noise is much quieter now thank god.

I've bought some Transfer fluid and a front rear Uni Joint aswell today so I can change that over the rear has got a little wobble but I reckon it's still in tolerance I'll change it over just to be sure it's not damaging the transfer unit bearings - I couldn't crack the nut to fill the transfer fluid lol it's a tough one

Might just be the fluids I'll get these done in a few weeks but I'll just keep an eye out I reckon it's sorted

I just went for a drive on the highway up to about 90 km/hr on the auto and it seems better.

Thanks for your input on this it's helping me get my drive back to prime again

No worries and good luck with it! You're thinking the noise you were hearing was from the diffs, then?

Yeah the noise is still there :(

But it's quieter in the rear diff but i want the noise gone .

The auto switch is something to do with my Transfer gear I'm thinkin and I'm going to get a check up on Drive tomorrow see if I can sort this all out .