Rotted Pathy

lgranch

Last Saturday I looked at a 94 Pathy from Ebay that claimed the frame was rotted. The seller was basically honest with his ad. He did not say the frame was so bad that it had broken in half about 1 foot in front of the axle. This caused the rear suspension on the right side to jamb up into the body. The body then buckled at the floor pan and the roof so that the rear door overlapped the body by 1 full inch.

I passed on this truck even though it only had 88,000 miles. I do not need engines or trannys, I have several good ones. So I told the seller that I would watch the auction and offer the winner that I would buy parts if they just wanted the engine. The auction ended the truck went for $1027. The buyer is from Canada, the truck is in Cleveland. I have talked to teh seller thinking that this would be a deadbeat bidder. This guy has already paid $500 and has made arrangements to get it trucked to Canada.

What is going on in the world. This truck can not be fixed at all. A good drivable Pathy in the Cleveland area is only $2500. I can buy engines for under $500. I purchased a VG30 for $200 last fall. I know that the west coast has high prices, but not here on the midwest. This is just crazy.

That is INSANE! Maybe the Canadian dollar is strong against teh us dollar??? or.. he wanted it so bad, he didn't care what he paid for it? crazy. -thnkboutit-

I actually saw the auction you were talking about. Anyway, I like to hang out at salvage auctions on wendsdays, and around here (Winnipeg Manitoba Canada) buying a scraped truck like that for $1027 or $1242CAD is not an uncommon thing. I'll bet this guy had himself 2 more pathys that are salvageable which he plans to fix with the parts from the one you mentioned.

BTW Don't bet on guys from Canada being deadbeats in this sort of situation when you are bidding on EBay. My Buddy and I purchased a wrecked 02 Intrepid that was in Baltimore. We drove down there (a 1600 mile trip each way) with a flat deck trailer and towed her all the way back, (With a 94 JGC I might add B) ) and I'm sure there are plenty of other’s who would do the same.

I thought the guy would be a deadbeat bidder because of the distance not because of being Canadian.

I'm not talking about lgranch here, just quoting...

Has anyone every thought it was kinda wierd that people here in the US consider Canada and Mexico to be all compacted into a a little peice of land the size of Arkansas way out in the middle of no-where... You rarely hear someone say someone is going to Quebec, or Oaxaca. It's always just "Canada, or Mexico" :huh:

I thought the guy would be a deadbeat bidder because of the distance not because of being Canadian.

Yep, I knew you were referring to the distance. That’s why I gave you the story of my little road trip as an example of distance not being a factor in someone’s decision to purchase a vehicle.