Lift gate latch stuck 2000 R50 SE

Artboy66

Hey guys, Newbie here. Loving this group and the helpful advice. I get lost in the maze of threads and topics and couldn't find what I was looking for, so I hope i'm not repeating a topic already covered.

I have a 2000 R50 SE. It's basically my bush buggy so I'm not worried about the cosmetics ( rust around the wheel trim )

What I am in need of help is that the lift gate won't lift as the entire latch is seized shut around the bracket. The inside panel has been removed and all the arms work, the key opens the window but the door stays shut. Anybody else experience this?

An auto wrecker suggested cutting the entire latch off ( to remove the door ) and replacing the entire door. Not sounding cheap. Any ideas? Anything would be helpful. Thank you in advance. - AB66.

I had this same issue with a Pathfinder in a junk yard that I wanted to pull tail lights off of but couldn't without opening the trunk, which was locked shut. I couldn't unlock it since the batteries aren't connected anymore in the junk yards, so I took off all the inside paneling in the back and was able to pull on the locking mechanism and get it unlocked and open from the inside. The mechanism that connects from the key hole to the actual lock itself on the latch may be broken, so unlocking it from the inside may work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know 1st hand of this issue...sigh. On my 01, part of the lift gate's nylon latching mechanism broke off within the inaccessible part of the lock itself. Long story short: like me, ur screwed!

I took a zip cut blade on the grinder and cut an access hole(2" x 4") in the lift gate outer skin, to gain access to the back side of the locking mechanism. Then beat the $hit out of the lock w/a big chisel and hammer.

I know of NO other option for this problem. Inherant design flaw. This is why my Sherwood green metallic Pathy is currently sporting a gold lift gate.

Found another gate on CL for $100. Sorry but this is NOT a cheap fix problem you are currently struggling with.

My suggestion is to find & purchase a replacement unit b4 attempting this endeavor.

Good luck, V.

• Like 1

This Pathy was broken into and the passenger side door lock is screwed, unable to use the key. I'm also missing the FOB. When I went to get an extra key cut at the dealership ( gotta love those chip keys ) they couldn't program the new key because the alarm system was hooped and disabled. I'm hoping that may be a factor in the latch problem but it won't be cheap as now it will require a locksmith and electrical work. It's my bush buggy so I'm not going to spend big $ on it. I'll just MacGyver it and make due. Thank you for the replies. Very much appreciated.