crankshaft seal & camshaft seals!! please help!

98Chilkoot

Ok i noticed that one camshaft seal was leaking and the crankshaft seal was leaking (both on the front of the engine). I had a fairly easy time getting them out, but now i can't seem to get the suckers back in. I tried getting ahold on a seal wrench as showed in the haynes mannual, but i was unable to pick one up anywhere. any ideas or tips on getting the new seals back in place?

thanks rob rez

Use either a large diameter socket or a short piece of schedule 40 scrap pipe of the right diameter to lightly tap the seal in. They tap in pretty easily. Oil the seal well before installing it.

Short of using either one of those methods, you can carefully use a small rubber or plastic mallet to tap the seals in by tapping around them in a circle until they go in evenly. Don't use a screwdriver or punch.

Ok guys, now heres a story. The reason i had problems with the seals was not just because i'm a weekend mechanic(although it played a part).... but because Piston Ring (canadian auto part branch) had the camshaft seals and crankshaft seals as the same part. so basically after 2 hours of screwing around tring all kind of ways to fit a 2inch seal in a 1.5inch area i compared the new seals from the ones i took out, i finally realized that they were different. i guess i should have compared the new seal with the old seal but i didn't i just figured that their computers were right. turns out that 4 of the 6 Piston Rings i went to all gave me the same thing "nope they come up as the same part number" finally at the main store a fella checked it out, end of the story my Pathfinder has 3 new seals and the timing belts finally back on.