Wheel bearing replacement

1badqx4

Hello every one I got a new set of front wheel bearings races and seals. about how long and how difficult is this job to complete? are there special tools I need?

I'll try and post the manual in a few. It's pretty simple, as long as you know all the little pieces you're getting into. I attempted to upload the pages on my phone but it didn't work. Just a minute...

Edited by CortlandCH

Its pretty straight forward. Few crucial things to remember-

The wheel bearings need to be spotless. No dust, dirt, debris.. etc. Keep them packaged until you are ready to grease them up and install them

Pack the bearings with grease really well. If by hand, roll the bearing, in your recently clean or gloved hand, with a dab of grease in your palm. You want to fill the entire bearing.

When setting end play on the axle shaft ( without a dial indicator) hand tighten pre-load nut until the rotor wont spin freely or the nut stops and then turn back ( loosen) the nut 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Pull on the rotor/hub assembly and feel for a very small amount of play. spin the rotor, look for free, unbound rotation. If it seems to bind at all or come to a sudden stop adjust the pre-load nut.

Avoid damage to the inner bearing race seating surface on the hub. If you nick or score this surface when removing the old bearings/races it must be dressed before installing a new set. Again, this must also be free of dust, dirt, debris.

You can use the old races to drive in new units to a point. Avoid going to far as the old races will start to seat in the hub, making it difficult to remove.

Take your time, take pictures as you go so you can reference the images for reassembly and keep it as clean as possible. Good luck.

Front%20and%20Rear%20Axle-17_zpsmh69zcop

Front%20and%20Rear%20Axle-7_zpsmdpkt90g.

Front%20and%20Rear%20Axle-8_zpsmrkwp5zd.

Front%20and%20Rear%20Axle-9_zpsdnkcmixu.

Front%20and%20Rear%20Axle-10_zpsd7trbkmm

Front%20and%20Rear%20Axle-11_zps3yciqal0

Front%20and%20Rear%20Axle-16_zpsdjdkmlkt

Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 3

No worries, CortlandCH. Didnt mean to beat you to it. Figured you had problems loading images or something and I know how little time folks have to get stuff done, myself included.

Ws Guardians 2 ok? On the fence about going to see it in theaters or waiting for it to become available on demand and watching at home.

No worries, CortlandCH. Didnt mean to beat you to it. Figured you had problems loading images or something and I know how little time folks have to get stuff done, myself included.

Ws Guardians 2 ok? On the fence about going to see it in theaters or waiting for it to become available on demand and watching at home.

Haha I'm not hurt. I originally got all the images in on my phone, but then (probably should have known it would happen) TinyPic just displayed that the images were deleted. Go figure!

The movie was amazing. Though some would argue, I would say it was just as good, if not better than the first. I'd see it if you liked the first one.

• 1 year later...

Just did this service along with every other front suspension component.  I replaced the outer and inner bearing's and races.  used a punch to knock out the old races.  I did score the race seating surface but filed down the high spots i created.  Car runs great.  One tip would be to re-tighten the spool nut after a few miles.  

Edited by trusovici
  • Like 1