Did a few things to the truck.

jgrote

So, it's been a couple of months and I'm finally getting around to using my new toy. I bought tires this week, and managed to get out to a trail yesterday. These are the tires I got. They are Goodyear Wrangler all-terrain adventure with kevlar, in 255/65/17

gy_wrang_atadvkev_owl_ci2_l.jpg

They're not quite as aggressive as I wanted, but I couldn't pass them up for the price. $350 for brand new tires. My local Chevy dealer is taking these off of new Colorado's to install larger tires.

When it was on the lift, I was able to get a good look around. I found some significant rust on the rear lower spring perches. I'm not sure just how bad it is, but definitely not good. Then yesterday, we took her out for a little trail driving. The website I generally use called it a moderate trail, but it was absolutely not. There wasn't even anything worth taking pics of.

One thing I did notice though was how the 4wd acted. When I first put it in 4wd, it was quite squirrelly. It was definitely in 4wd, but just didn't feel right. As we did more driving, it began to feel better and better. After ~5 miles of dirt driving, it was fine. No tire spinning when starting or stuff like that. Now I come from driving Subarus for a long time, and am used to how the AWD feels, (and reacts) when off road. But this is by no means the first 4wd truck I've driven. I don't know much about these transfer cases yet, Is it computer controlled? Did it need to "learn" the terrain before making decisions on where to send power? Time for more learning!

Do you know which transfer case you have? What year is yours?

The newer tcase that has the AWDish "auto" mode doesn't learn but maybe was slow to start working properly. I think it works by detecting slip through the output shafts on the tcase by oil pressure. Maybe the accumulators were slow to fill or something.. not sure why the characteristics of the 4wd would change the longer you drove. I think there are clutch packs in there on the newer "auto" mode tcases and stuff too.. also I think there are pressure sensors for the "auto" mode..

Has your 4wd been inactive for a long time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by onespiritbrain

I do have the auto function. I know it's electrically shifted, not not sure how it works internally. I have the knob on the dash, not a stick to shift. It's a 2002 with all the options.

Did you have the knob on Auto or 4H? My understanding is that it only tries to think for itself if it's in the Auto position, and locks the clutch pack solid like a manual transfer if you go to 4HI or 4LO. If this is your first time using the 4x, it could be that the PO never used it and it just needed to push some fluid around like onespiritbrain said. Probably wouldn't hurt to check the fluid level and condition, or just plan on changing it as it's more than likely original. The manual box in my '95 worked a whole lot better after I changed the fluid. I don't know how finicky the auto box is, but I expect it's more finicky than the manual.

If you want to do some research on what you've got, I believe it's called the ATX14A, and there should be an exploded diagram and troubleshooting info in the service manual.

For the rust, scrape off the loose junk and post a picture.

I had it in 4HI. The fluid has been changed at least once, because I can tell that the transfer case has been split apart at some point. The somewhat sloppy RTV sealant goobers make that obvious. I don't imagine I will ever use the "auto" function. Thanks for the link. I am the type of person to study these manuals just to learn how things work. Ask me about Subaru AWD systems, and I can tell everything you want to know. Nissans, well, I still have quite a ways to go.