Getting new tires soon on my 04 LE, load index?

I have some westlake su391s on right now which are super cheap $275 for a set of 4 if anyone needs some new rubber

Have 18k on them and outside of some minor wear on the fronts, and a few little cracks are and there the tires are fine

However I ran over a glass bottle and there's a inch long gash in my tire. It's not leaking air but I'm ready to slap some new higher grade tires on especially for my Miami trip coming up

I plan on getting Bridgestone H/L Alena Plus tires.

They have 80k mile warrantee and great reviews for highway.

The size I'm looking at is 245/65/17H 105

Now clearly I don't need an H speed rating lol but I don't mind it even tho I'll never get close to 130

My question is. Is a 105 load index high enough? And is it more then high enough?

My current chinese tires are 107 an I can't find anything about the stock index

Only reason why I ask is 105 seems to be the lowest load index I'm seeing on tires this size.

Thanks pathy fam

I have been researching tires a bit recently and found this bit of info if it helps:

Load Range designates the tire's construction as it relates to its load carrying capacity and is represented by a letter.

For example, "C" indicates the tire has a 6-ply load carrying capacity. The tire is not actually built with 6 plies, but contains one or two plies of equivalent strength.

The Load Range also indicates the air pressure at which maximum load carrying capacity is achieved.

SL (Standard Load) 4ply @36 psi

XL (Extra Load) 4ply @42 psi

C1 6ply @50 psi

C2 6ply @35 psi

D1 8ply @65 psi

D2 8ply @50 psi

E1 10ply @80 psi

E2 10ply @65 psi

F 12ply @95 psi

G 14ply @110 psi

I.E. -- LT265 /75 R16 123Q E1 OWL -- The E1 would tell you the load range & the 123Q is the service description. The R is the speed rating.

The speed rating of a tire is based on U.S. Government standards for reaching and sustaining a specified speed. Typically, a tire with a higher speed rating results in better handling. Speed ratings are determined via laboratory tests that simulate road performance at various speeds.

Below is a list of speed ratings along with the corresponding speeds they represent. Remember that the speeds listed are test speeds and not recommended speeds. Speed ratings apply only to the tire itself, and not to a particular vehicle. Putting a tire rated for a certain speed on a vehicle does not mean that the vehicle can be safely operated at the tire's rated speed.

• B - Up to 31 mph
  • C - Up to 37 mph
  • D - Up to 40 mph
  • E - Up to 43 mph
  • F - Up to 50 mph
  • G - Up to 56 mph
  • J - Up to 62 mph
  • K - Up to 68 mph
  • L - Up to 75 mph
  • M - Up to 81 mph
  • N - Up to 87 mph
  • P - Up to 94 mph
  • Q - Up to 100 mph
  • R - Up to 106 mph
  • S - Up to 112 mph
  • T - Up to 118 mph
  • U - Up to 124 mph
  • H - Up to 130 mph
  • V - Up to 149 mph
  • W - Up to 168 mph
  • Y - Up to 186 mph
  • Z - 149 mph and over

If a listed speed rating contains two letters (such as VR), the first letter represents the speed rating and the second letter ® indicates that it is a radial tire.

• Service Description
Service description is a combination of load index and speed rating. For example 87Z, 92H, 109Q XL, etc.

For example 255/55R-18 92H

The 105 you are thinking of is actually the service description

I gleaned all this info from the Discount Tire website

Edited by Blindaviator

I have been researching tires a bit recently and found this bit of info if it helps:

Load Range designates the tire's construction as it relates to its load carrying capacity and is represented by a letter.

For example, "C" indicates the tire has a 6-ply load carrying capacity. The tire is not actually built with 6 plies, but contains one or two plies of equivalent strength.

The Load Range also indicates the air pressure at which maximum load carrying capacity is achieved.

SL (Standard Load) 4ply @36 psi

XL (Extra Load) 4ply @42 psi

C1 6ply @50 psi

C2 6ply @35 psi

D1 8ply @65 psi

D2 8ply @50 psi

E1 10ply @80 psi

E2 10ply @65 psi

F 12ply @95 psi

G 14ply @110 psi

I.E. -- LT265 /75 R16 123Q E1 OWL -- The E1 would tell you the load range & the 123Q is the service description. The R is the speed rating.

The 105 you are thinking of is actually the service description

I gleaned all this info from the Discount Tire website

R means radial construction not speed rating, 123 is the load rating and Q is the speed rating. The E can also be a load rating, depending on purpose of tire. Usually you will see one or the other, but not both.

R means radial construction not speed rating, 123 is the load rating and Q is the speed rating. The E can also be a load rating, depending on purpose of tire. Usually you will see one or the other, but not both.

Yeah you are right on the R and Q... I was tired and not reading it correctly... But according to what I read the 123 is the service description and the E1 is load rating... Guess it depends upon the tire manufacturer as to which they use...

I just went out and looked at the Firestones on mine and I saw the service description of 106T ... On the opposite side of the tire I saw E1 which is the load rating... Guess they don't always keep the load rating close to the tire metrics...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

106 is another form of load index. Service description is the load index plus speed rating, so like the 106T on your tires.The E1 is also a load rating of some sort, but the 106 equates directly to pounds, around 2000.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

106 is another form of load index. Service description is the load index plus speed rating, so like the 106T on your tires.The E1 is also a load rating of some sort, but the 106 equates directly to pounds, around 2000.

Learn something new every day...

Hi all, new new member here just picked up a 2001 le 4x4 for the wife in Feb. Bought at Speeds auto auction over in Portland Or. Drove her home, and commenced to get her road worthy. Out of the 4 [mismatched] tires one was roadworthy, a standard load paasenger tread type. the other 3 had weather checking, and the tread was shot on 2 of the weather checked. I use Les Schwab , and had them install a set of 4 "Back Country" M&S all terrain, 245/70-16 107T , The only American Made they stocked. new valve stem, spin balance, had Schwab "sipe" all 4 on their equipment. Rains a bit around these parts. Vhicle is primarily for my sweetie, she loves the Heated /Seats, as she has back problems. Easier to climb in and out of than the 380000 mile 04 Corolla we shared. Quiet on the streets, haven't yet been off road. Thanks for the forum, learned a bunch already. MIKE

878.00 USD out the door, lifetime rotate and balance, free flat rapair, 60,000 Mile prorated tread warranty. And Siped for better braking. Vehicle had no spare when purchased, found one in Albany Oregon for 40 bucks at B&R auto wrecking. 5419262300. Got a driver rear seatbelt assy, and used master cyinder for 35.00 and 20.00 respectively. I put the one good tire from original purchase on the spare. Vehicle came with all the tools and jack, was grateful there. MIKE