New (to me) R50 Minor Issues and Questions

Blindaviator

I just picked up my first Pathfinder about a week ago and have been doing a lot of research on it.

It is a 2001 LE model. Pretty much loaded with just about every option (except no LSD.) Have been looking into locker options and the only one that seems viable at this point is ARB for rear. Expensive but trying to drop a good LSD into it with modifications for clutch strength is almost as much.

Couple of issues I had had so far:

1) I am assuming the radio and cruise controls on the steering wheel are supposed to be illuminated? Mine don't seem to be. What would be needed to fix the issue? It has a cheap after market stereo in it now that I will replace with a good Kenwood 7" nav system soon.

2) The throttle will sometimes stick at a higher idle (about 1200-1500) after getting off the freeway. If I lightly tap the pedal it will usually idle back down. I picked up some silicone lubricant for the throttle cables to see if that fixes it.

3) The in-dash clock didn't work. Found out it is usually the resistors on board. Re-soldered them a bit and it works now.

4) The alternator was out when I purchased it (the seller destroyed the battery bulb in dash to hide the fact). Replaced it with a Vatozone unit and works good now. The battery and SES lights were both out, removed dash and replaced bulbs.

5) Power seat would not move foreward or back. Research told me it would be a sticky motor. Tapped on the motor and it works now.

6) Starter will sometimes just click when trying to start. The car had been sitting a while and figure the solenoid could be a little gummed up. If it continues I will drop a starter in it.

7) I am getting the Valve solenoid code for left side (variable valve timing solenoid). Research says it could be a sticky valve / solenoid & to remove, clean, lubricate and reinstall to fix, Otherwise replace.

8) Power windows slow. Lubricated with Silicone spray and they seem to be better.

Anything else I need to look out for? The person that I picked it up from was the original owner and seems to have done some maint but probably lost interest when the alternator went out.

Have plans to get a simple 2.5" lift for it, probably some taller tires (probably 31's) and lockers front and back (with manual hubs in front.)

Will the taller tires cause issues with the ABS system? I had a jeep recently with 31's and the ABS would over react when stopping and start pulsing the brakes. I had to disable the ABS for safety.

Cruise control buttons on steering wheel don't light up. Take seats out and clean tracks real good. Buy new starter. Clean throttle body. Or the idle air control valve could be sticking as well causing high idle.

J.Cox from Lenoir City, TN

ABS holds up fine with bigger tires, the speedo gets off though.

I just picked up my first Pathfinder about a week ago and have been doing a lot of research on it.

It is a 2001 LE model. Pretty much loaded with just about every option (except no LSD.) Have been looking into locker options and the only one that seems viable at this point is ARB for rear. Expensive but trying to drop a good LSD into it with modifications for clutch strength is almost as much.

Couple of issues I had had so far:

1) I am assuming the radio and cruise controls on the steering wheel are supposed to be illuminated? Mine don't seem to be. What would be needed to fix the issue? It has a cheap after market stereo in it now that I will replace with a good Kenwood 7" nav system soon.

2) The throttle will sometimes stick at a higher idle (about 1200-1500) after getting off the freeway. If I lightly tap the pedal it will usually idle back down. I picked up some silicone lubricant for the throttle cables to see if that fixes it.

3) The in-dash clock didn't work. Found out it is usually the resistors on board. Re-soldered them a bit and it works now.

4) The alternator was out when I purchased it (the seller destroyed the battery bulb in dash to hide the fact). Replaced it with a Vatozone unit and works good now. The battery and SES lights were both out, removed dash and replaced bulbs.

5) Power seat would not move foreward or back. Research told me it would be a sticky motor. Tapped on the motor and it works now.

6) Starter will sometimes just click when trying to start. The car had been sitting a while and figure the solenoid could be a little gummed up. If it continues I will drop a starter in it.

7) I am getting the Valve solenoid code for left side (variable valve timing solenoid). Research says it could be a sticky valve / solenoid & to remove, clean, lubricate and reinstall to fix, Otherwise replace.

8) Power windows slow. Lubricated with Silicone spray and they seem to be better.

Anything else I need to look out for? The person that I picked it up from was the original owner and seems to have done some maint but probably lost interest when the alternator went out.

Have plans to get a simple 2.5" lift for it, probably some taller tires (probably 31's) and lockers front and back (with manual hubs in front.)

Will the taller tires cause issues with the ABS system? I had a jeep recently with 31's and the ABS would over react when stopping and start pulsing the brakes. I had to disable the ABS for safety.

I've had the starter symptoms you describe, as well as at least 1 other person I know of, simply because of a loose battery cable. Check that before buying a starter.

I'm impressed with everything you've researched and resolved already! Kudos.

I've had the starter symptoms you describe, as well as at least 1 other person I know of, simply because of a loose battery cable. Check that before buying a starter.

I'm impressed with everything you've researched and resolved already! Kudos.

Thx I appreciate it.

When I first had the click issue I checked the battery terminal connections and they were indeed loose. The factory strap style connection are tightened all the way down and still loose on the battery (a new battery installed by previous owner). So I fixed it the old fashioned way, I put a small screw inbetween the strap right at the junction and the terminal and tightened. It will do until I can replace it properly.

But I still have the click sometimes so it's either possibly a loose connection on starter or the starter it's self.

ABS holds up fine with bigger tires, the speedo gets off though.

That's good to hear on the ABS. The jeep overreacted so badly with the larger tires I was afraid it would cause an accident.

Is there a good fix for the speedo to correct it?

I'm assuming the speedo is a sensor in the transmission or TC and not a cable?