Key wont go in the ignition.. Nissan lockout?

ChemExposure

So has anyone tried to turn their steering wheel with the key out in neutral and found that when they went to put the key in that it just wouldn't fit? I've had this happen to me twice now and it's a real pain in the ass to deal with. I've had to roll my pathfinder backwards down a snowy hill just to try to straighten my steering wheel out enough to get the key back in. I can understand why it's there if it's a lockout feature, but I wonder if it's actually supposed to be happening the way it does to mine. Has anyone here ever experienced the same thing?

I've gotten out and bumped the wheel and had the steering lock kick in, and then the key won't go in. I haven't had to roll it, just turn the steering wheel one way or the other against the lock (might have to push kinda hard) until the key will go in, then the lock releases. You might have to turn the key, too, it's been long enough since I triggered mine that I don't remember. It's an anti-theft sorta deal so that even if somebody did get past the ignition without the key, they wouldn't be able to steer. Mine's a WD21, but I'd be surprised if the R50 system wasn't more or less the same.

Oh really, well that's interesting to hear that it goes all the way back to the WD21. The first time I did it I don't recall moving the vehicle, but the second time I figured I'd roll it a bit in hopes of reducing the risk of damaging components.