Rough Country XJ Bumper - Satisfied?

mjotrainbrain

Or any XJ bumper for that matter? Specifically what I want to know has to do with the fact that I've seen a fair number of people put XJ bumpers on their trucks on here, but how satisfied have you been long term? Would you do anything differently if you had the chance to do it all again? The Rough Country XJ bumper seems like such a convenient way to get the job done and everybody who's done it seems initially happy, but are there regrets later on down the road? I'm seriously considering this as my next big upgrade, but I want to make sure I won't think I've wasted my money later on down the road trail.

Also, please post links to any threads containing information pertaining to this topic please. I think I've found enough useful ones for what I need, but more information is never a bad thing!

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/36674-xj-cherokee-bumper-mod/

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/41245-arb-or-off-road-bumpers/?hl=%2Brough+%2Bcountry&do=findComment&comment=769373

• Like 1

I installed an XJ specific bumper from Smittybilt and overall Im not happy with it. Its close dimensionally but the proportions are off and they leave a lot of post installation fab work to clean up the aesthetics.

Anyone with the will, a grinder and a welder can make them work. If you like them, go for it. Dont skimp on mounts.

In my opinion, with the amount of work required and upfront cost of an XJ bumper I suggest making one or having one made. I just picked up some steel and a bender to finally replace my XJ unit. Will be glad to see it go.

• Like 3

I installed an XJ specific bumper from Smittybilt and overall Im not happy with it. Its close dimensionally but the proportions are off and they leave a lot of post installation fab work to clean up the aesthetics.

Anyone with the will, a grinder and a welder can make them work. If you like them, go for it. Dont skimp on mounts.

In my opinion, with the amount of work required and upfront cost of an XJ bumper I suggest making one or having one made. I just picked up some steel and a bender to finally replace my XJ unit. Will be glad to see it go.

Interesting. I've always been torn on the looks, I can't decide if I like or not. But in terms of cost, the guy I'm going to have do my work for me quoted $800 for a plate bumper. :ohno01: I figured it would at least be worth looking into how much he (or somebody else since modification requires less of a creative eye than fabrication) would charge for the necessary modifications. But thank you, your points will be taken into consideration.