Engine Trouble

PsychoPath

I know it's not a Pathy but I'm looking for a little feedback. I found this 88 Trooper for 200 bucks on ebay and as it turns out it's really close to my home. I'm going to try and go look at it. He says it has an overheating problem, and that it runs fine, but when it gets to temp, it just keeps going up. REplaced the water pump, thermostat and did a coolant flush but none of it helped. Somebody told him that it might be the head, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me... I dunno, can anyone think of anything besides him being a goofball and putting in his thermostat backwards or something? what kind of problem could be lurking in there? And for 200 bucks is it worth it? Other than that it's clean, little rust, etc...

200 bucks isnt bad at all. My pathy is haveing a slight prob with it getting a little hot and 88 told me to check my fan clutch. So maybe if you dont have an electrical fan in that bad boy see if that is the prob. I dont really know what im talkin about just relaying what he told ME to do hahaha.

My buddy has a 91 Trooper and we are hoping to get that running SOON cuz I need a wheelin buddy that isnt to scared to scratch his paint or loose a fog light. The only thing is they seem pretty tall and not all that wide. We have never been wheeling with the Trooper so we dont know first hand but it seems like it would tip ALOT easier than the pathy would.

AND if you call 4 wheel parts to see if they have a lift for it they will say no one makes one for it BUT Calmini DOES.

Calmini 3 inch sus lift for YOUR Trooper!!!

Rami

Which engine is in the trooper? The 4 cyl or the 2.8 GM V6? If it is the 2.8, you can swap directly over to the GM 3.4 liter (more power) with basically no modifying. You can also do the same with the 4.3 v6 (much more power), but it requires a little more adjusting.

You can also do swap the 4 cyl, but the 6 cyl uses the same tranny and t case. Also, if it is a 6 cyl, it could be overheating because of an external oil cooler. I has one, and the lines ran right along the wheel arch along the driver;s side inner fender. They ran right past the exhaust manifold, and the retaining strap (a piece of plastic) had come loose and were rubbing on the exhaust. Of course I didn't notice that little bit of info (just thought I was running hot climbing the grade from Phx to Flagstaff), until a big cloud of smoke billowed behind me. Yup this was in the middle of nowhere, except for a little sleazeball repair shop, 30 miles from Page, AZ. Now that is another story (involving paying them $500 for nothing and getting a 2 am 300 mile tow!)

Jeez, that sounds like a story... It has the four cylinder. I don't really know how well they do off road to be honest. I know that they are rugged little trucks, but they are tall, definitely look a little tippy. It might be a little big for me... I have to go look it over, hopefully in the next couple of days.

I did notice that lift on Calmini. Does anyone have any experience with them? All I know is from their website but it seems like a pretty professional looking operation. I like what they've done with those little Samurais, too. That might be a good little truck to beat on on the trails. I understand they are pretty capable off the road.

I'll look at that fan clutch, though... Thanks for that tip...

I love my pathy, but those troopers are pretty capable. I had one before, but I had the V6. Horrible Horrible V6. Only 10 more HP than the 4 cyl, and much less reliable, worse gas mileage etc.

Yes the troopers are tall, but so are many offroad vehicles. If you are interested in learning more check out these

Look what this guy has done to his

www.off-road.com/isuzu/wombintro.html

And this guy with his "Tundra Rover"

troopers.seanweems.com/

This guy took a trek across the sahara in his trooper

www.itog.com/sahara.shtml

Also check this out. It is Similar to NPORA for troopers - www.itog.com/ (somewhat dormant recently)

I bet you five bucks the fan clutch is shot and it just needs a new one. BUT!!

Compression test that bastard before you buy it. If it has a cracked head or blown head gasket, you DO NOT WANT IT. Rebuilt Isuzu parts are NOT CHEAP.