tranny

Guest bigmikey

Guest bigmikey

hi i have a 98 chilkoot with 146,000 km , my question is how common is it for the reverse seal to go in the tranny , keep in mind i live in a cold climate (central canada). about a week ago when i put my truck into reverse it would slip or knock very hard . after doing some research i got prices ranging from $1800-$2000 plus 14% tax cnd . i did get a deal at very good shop thru one of my dad's business friends for $1200+tax , that included gasket and seal kit replacment and an inspection. i was wondering how long can i expect a worry free tranny after this service. the mechanics said that the tranny was in good shape mechanicly but since they had to take out the whole thing to get to the reverse seal they replaced all of them. i'm currently selling the truck and was wondering what kind of assurances i could give to the buyer.

by the way some mechanics told me to just change the oil and add a product to swell the seals in the tranny , because i was selling it . unfortuanetly i did not want to screw someone over . what goes around comes around.

thanks

I'll start out showing ignorance What is a chilkoot? I do know Nissan auto trannys however. What make you think that it is a "reverse seal"? First all of these Nissans have a diagnosis output onthe computer. That needs to be checked. Then a complete analysis on the tranny completed. This is a 20 page routine for the 90 to 95 pathy. I am not sure how long a procedure it is for a 98. 90,000 miles is way to early for that tranny to trash, unless it was abused without installing a after market cooler. If I understand your post correctly you all ready have had the tranny repaired. The pricing you listed in $cnd is about right for a rebuild not just a seal replacement. For that the clutches should have been replaced and all of the rest of the soft parts. What does the bill indicate they replace? Finally as for an assurance to another buyer, are you nuts? You are trying to warrenty someone elses work. never do that ! If no after market tranny cooler was installed .... there is no assurance at all. With an after market tranny cooler ...then the assurance is to the end of your driveway. If and only if the mechanics did the proper job on a rebuild then the tranny should be good for ever if someone services properly and keeps the cooler clean and clear. However if the mechanics did not run the complete diagnosis on the tranny then ........ sorry. :(

BTW if a chilkoot is a snowmobile or something then never mind. :blink:

i think i'd just sell it with the leak... the price is a bit high for just seal work but then it does have to be removed from the vehicle... they might as well do everything to it while it's out.. otherwise it's a waste of an effort.. imho..