02 Sensors

rc_cola_j

My vehicle is a 2000 SE

I have intermittently over the last 2 weeks been throwing two different sets of codes. It's either P0140+P0160......which I will clear using an OBD2 reader. I cal then drive around for a few days then I will have those come back or throw a different set of P0138+P0158. Clear them and drive around some more and one of the two sets come back again.

What's going on here? What are the chances that two post catalytic 02 sensors would go at once? Could it be a grounding issue or exhaust leak? Will these sensors affect fuel economy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My CEL also intermittently comes on - almost seems like a fuel issue for me. Usually comes on under 1/2 or near 1/4 tank. Using a fuel additive when often keeps it away, but I changed from Conoco to Chevron and found my CEL doesn't come on (as much). I have gone back to Conoco (closer to home - and other services) and my CEL has not come back on - winter now.

getting some king of OBD2 for x-mas so I may be able to get my actual codes - instead of hoping to get the timing right at my local Autozone. They have recommended replacing my O2 sensors - when the light is actually on. have had the 158 code a number of times.

Edited by pepperjack26

I'm kind of limited to my gas choices where I live. It's a small island with one gas station.

The 140 and 160 codes are "no voltage" on bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2.....both after the catalytic converter.

Same goes for 138 and 158, except it is a "high voltage" problem.

Still not sure what is going on here.

So there is a service notice out for the o2 sensors on my model year. It says to replace the sensors and also flash the ECU with updated software.

I went back through the service records for my pathfinder, one o2 sensor was replaced in 2006.....but no mention of whether the ECU was updated.

I called the dealership on the mainland where the vehicle was serviced in the past. They said the only way to tell would be to do a full diagnostic for $125!! This would tell them what software version is running and potentially what's going on.......but it may also be $125 to tell me not much.

There has to be an easier way.

Is there an easier way?

In an effort to diagnose my problem (and on the advice of a friend) I took some spare wires with alligator clip ends and re-grounded the body to the negative terminal, the engine to the negative terminal, and the engine to the body.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I haven't thrown any of the codes since. Am going to give it some time though. Perhaps all I needed to do was clean up my ground connections.

That can actually cause a lot of problems. Electricity takes the path of least resistance. So clean grounds are essential. Ever wonder why older vehicles have odd intermittent issues or the lights are not as bright as they used to be.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk