95 engine grinding noise

fc3s

hi guys somewhat new member here but not new to pathfinders.I've had my 95 for over 15 years it's been a great car even though I lost my reverse a few years ago and now have some kind of grinding noise coming from engine.I haven't drove it alot the last few years just when the roads are bad with snow.I'm starting to rebuild her she only has 115k miles still in very good condition so it's worth it to me to put some money back into it and get running again.

I just found a 03 xterra trans that has 85k miles I'm picking up next week.that's going to be fun never done a 4x4 replace but going to do myself.I have done a lot of mazda rx7's so it shouldn't be to bad.

trying to go over her 1st before the trans job and I'm getting a bad grinding sound from front of the engine.I'm thinking it has to be some pulley because the timing belt and water pump was replaced at 89k at the dealership.

I drove it a little the other day and one thing that's got me worried is when I was coming up my drive way which is very steep the grinding noise was really bad and I started smelling something like rubber melting threw the air vents.the next day I took a look at the engine and noticed that the spark plug wired which are new has some kind of brown buildup on them at the distributor like they had been over heating.

any help would be great tks

Yep, sounds like the idler pulley for the aircon. The idler's easy to remove and check to see if it's dried out and crunchy (or seized, which would explain the smell). If the idler looks alright, pull the other belts try turning the compressor, alternator, and steering pump by hand to see which one is the problem.

Or just look at the belts and see if one of them looks chewed up.