How do I change alternator and Power steering Belts?

KILLANOLA

Hi,

I know do know much about cars but i have an 1995 nissian pathfinder.

How do I change alternator and Power steering Belts?

The oil change guy said i need new ones and he was definately trying to over charge me.

I tried to find and a current post on here but couldnt.

Any help would be great from this very knowledgeable group here. :)

Thanks,

KILLA

There is a single bolt that holds the tensioner arm taught and a perpendicular bolt (the same size) that locks the adjuster block into place. I believe that all 4 of them are 10mm bolts. Loosen the locking bolt and spray the adjuster bolt with lubricant then unscrew it until the belt is loose enough to pull off..... same deal for the power steering belt on the other side of the motor. Although I did both from underneath I understand that it's possible to do the power steering from above as well.

You may want to check the length of belt you get from the store against the one that is on there right now since mine was an inch too short and the store was closed for the weekend by the time I got to throwing it on. At that point I was just pissed so I took my brand new Maxima alternator and ground the case down on the concrete curb by hand until I could get the belt over it. It wasn't pretty.... it was very ghetto.

Edited by SpecialWarr
  • Like 1

Start by removing the negative cable off the battery. The alternator has a couple of 14mm bolts holding it to the mounting base. Take photos showing where the wiring attached to the back of the alternator so you can use as reinstallation reference. Disconnect the wiring first, then undo the mounting bolts, then the top belt tension bolt. This will avoid the possibility of leaving your alternator hanging by it's wires.