15" vs 16"

verbious

So I am in the market for some wheels. When I needed tires last, I got some retreads that were inexpensive, but they rub from time to time on the front strut housing. I understand that new wheels will remedy this situtation.

I put together 2 packages on Tirerack.com.

The 15" wheels have 3.75" off backspacing vs 4.48" for the 16" wheels.

One package costs $840ish and the other is $895ish.

Oh yeah....the wheels are the American Racing AR172 Baja.

Any input on the backspacing would be appreciated. There is a chance in the future that I might put a larger tire on...maybe a 31". The 15" tires measure out to 29.6" and the 16" tires measure out at 30.6". I don't want to mess up my fuel economy at the moment, nor do I want to increase wear on bearings and other components.

Thanks for the input!

3.75 is perfect for a nice stance. No worries about bearings on anything, the BS as far as I know has no impact on that. The wheel takes all the "stress", but with backspacing the weight is actually better distributed on the rim, more central, as opposed to all on one edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk

• Like 1

Do those 'packages' include the price of the tires as well as the new rims?

If not, you should figure that out. Tire prices could vary a bit between the 2 sizes.

BTW, I ran 31" tires with my stock rims and didn't have any problems except the inside edge of the tire would rub the frame rail at full turn which I didn't consider a problem.

But the 3.75" backspacing is what you want so that you could clear bigger tires in the future. That 4.5" backspacing is too much. It might look wrong, plus it might result in the 30" tires actually rubbing the outside edge against the wheel well (not sure, just something I would be wary of until a test fit).

Can't you find 16" rims in the 3.75" backspace?

• Like 1

The package was 4 wheels and 4 tires and they would be mounted and balanced and delivered right to my door. So I am definitely on the hunt for 3.75" backspacing and I'm going to see what I can find in a 3.75" BS in a 16.

Thanks!!!!