z24 to vg30e conversion advice needed

burgundypathy

Hey everyone, I'm currently driving a 1988 Pathfinder with a z24 motor which is slowly dying which runs on dedicated LPG/propane. Because the motor is dying I had been searching for another motor so I eventually stumbled across a 1994 Pathfinder with a vg30e on duel fuel. I bought it straight away because it has a heap of accessories and the price was very reasonable.

My main questions are what difficulties lye ahead with the conversion? Research has told be that I'll need to use the vg30e gearbox because the bell housing will be completely different and that the wiring could be a headache. Another question is will I be able to use the clutch from the z24 on the vg30e? Has anyone done this conversion before? If so what issues might I face and are there any detailed guides on this particular conversion?

I know some people will read this and wonder why I bought it without all the research but if I didn't buy it as quickly as I did than I would of missed out and any pathfinder under $1000 (I paid $800) that runs, has roof racks, alloy bull bar, 2 inch lift kit, old man emu springs and duel fuel normally gets sold within a day or two. I also apologize to admin because I know this is a topic that has been asked a lot but I had a few extra questions. Thanks to anyone giving advice in advance.

Well, AFAIK you will have to change the motor, tranny, wiring harness, all under hood components, ecu, etc. That's a lot of work...

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just drive the 1994? It sounds superior in every way...

Even if you want to keep the 88, just have the motor rebuilt (or do it yourself). When both are running, you can reassess which to sell, if any. I'm certain either way you won't be losing any $...

(wish I had a dual fuel set up)

B

As much as I would jump to the 'BUILD THE 2 DOOR!' Side, what's wrongly with the 4 door to deem it as just a donor? Would a body swap putting the 88 on the 94 frame be more feasable if you want to stay elite with the correct number of door handles?

• Like 1

The main reason why I didn't want to use the 94 pathfinder is it'll need a lot of work to make it roadworthy plus the body is pretty rough. My 88 Pathfinders body is immaculate and has had a really easy life. The one con with the 88 is the motor, the 94 has a list of things to get it back on the road. The guy that had it before me didn't really treat it with much love. Trust me I'm tempted to make the 94 work, better motor, duel/fuel with a 90 liter gas tank, power windows, central locking but I think I'd rather a straight body over creature comforts.