Tough spots story thread. Pics and videos a bonus!

RCAR50

We went camping a while ago and as always decided to hit some trails.

We ended up taking a very long shortcut through the woods from one highway to another.

The trail started out as a nice dirt road and after about 30 minutes or so slowly reduced to not much more than some type of animal migration path.

The PsychoPathy was doing a great job until we hit an extremely steep incline of a few hundred feet. I took a couple spirited attemps at the hill, but ultimately ended up backing down the winding trail.

This is the first time this little truck has let me down, but I'm glad it did, the other side of this hill was even steeper and went nowhere, we would have been stuck and SCREWED!

I gotta say the truck did an amazing job for being 2wd, I can't say enough good about it...

Here's a short video of me backing (sliding) down the hill. Pardon the horrible angle but I was trying not to slide into trees on the passenger side, one hand on the wheel and the other holding the phone out my window. I wish I had gotten more footage.

I ended up having to use the ebrake while coming down backwards to avoid the front wheels locking up and just sliding straight down making it impossible to steer.

Edited by RCAR50

Ok, can anyone share with me how to post a video without sharing my entire photo bucket collection??

Meanwhile, here's a pick of the Pathy fully loaded from our latest camping trip and first kayaking adventure... Definitely a new hobby for us, so much fun..

2015-09-20%2000.21.29_zpswefrni6e.jpg

Edited by RCAR50

Ok figured it out.. just put it on YouTube then post the embedded link..

Again it's not the best recording and a horrid angle but I was impressed the 2 wheel wonder was able to get up so far on such a steep incline..

https://www.youtube.com/embed/eooGOQg782A"

Edited by RCAR50

Looks pretty steep indeed. 4WD low-range would have made that climb a cakewalk. The extra torque in 4LO is what really helps.

By the way, when you traverse terrain like that, you will get loads more traction if you reduce your tire pressure to around 18psi. Naturally, you will need a way to re-inflate your tires before hitting the highway again. I recommend the very inexpensive, but well-made MV50 air compressor. I have one of these hard-mounted in the Pathfinder engine compartment for airing up tires after a trail run: Pathfinder on-board air

Where did you go kayaking?

If my pathy was 4wd I know I could have made it up no problem, especially if aired down, but I don't bother with it in the 2wd with the current street slicks...

I'm looking for a good 5sp 4wd pathy but funds are not allowing it right now.

As far as kayaking, we headed up to Antelope Lake, outside of Susanville. It was nice and calm water for our first time out in them. There's a little island in the middle of the lake, actually a couple of them now that the water level has dropped.

We paddled out and checked out the island, let one of our pits swim next to us and my wife even had the dog in the kayak with her for a bit.. It really was a lot of fun. I don't swim, or trust life vests (I know...) so don't do water sports often, but this is something I can see turning into a more often type of thing, maybe even a gateway activity that could lead to other watersports that I've not bother to try before...

Edited by RCAR50